• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency Use the strained pulp or toss it?

I made a hot sauce the other day from Fatali, Trinidad Congo and Brown Morugas. After cooking them soft I used a hand blender but unlike most of the time, this time I strained the sauce and saved the pulp. It's dried now and I was wondering does anyone add this to salsa or chili or anything? It is hot as I tasted a small amount. It looks like ground up Pot, very fibrous. I was going to toss it but thought maybe it was worth saving.

Pulp is peppers. I cook it in the sauce. You need to cook it until it breaks down. If you strain it out, you are really making pepper juice, not sauce. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Some pulp can be pepper flesh but it is also pith and seeds. Sometimes I like a watery sauce like how Tabasco is, typically I don't strain the finished product. When I did this time, I felt like I was tossing some good heat.

I made a hot sauce the other day from Fatali, Trinidad Congo and Brown Morugas. After cooking them soft I used a hand blender but unlike most of the time, this time I strained the sauce and saved the pulp. It's dried now and I was wondering does anyone add this to salsa or chili or anything? It is hot as I tasted a small amount. It looks like ground up Pot, very fibrous. I was going to toss it but thought maybe it was worth saving.

Yeah, I kinda do the same thing. Cook (or ferment) / blend / food mill / reheat / bottle. The remnants of the food-mill process is seeds, skins and maybe a stem or two šŸ˜³ lol. Anyway, I dehydrate these "tailings", then grind into powder. There's definitely some flavor to be had there.

That sauce had to be hot AF. :fire:

Indeed! When I hear strain I don't think food mill I think of early cooking (still chunky) and removing all the good pepper flesh! Of course, you guys know better.

Yeah, I kinda do the same thing. Cook (or ferment) / blend / food mill / reheat / bottle. The remnants of the food-mill process is seeds, skins and maybe a stem or two šŸ˜³ lol. Anyway, I dehydrate these "tailings", then grind into powder. There's definitely some flavor to be had there.

That sauce had to be hot AF. :fire:
It is pretty hot but could be hotter.

I made a sauce 10 days ago with 15 Brown Morugas, half white vinegar and half Pineapple Juice, it made 3 5 oz woozies unstrained. Now THAT one is pretty hot! :dance:

Last edited:
Indeed! When I hear strain I don't think food mill I think of early cooking (still chunky) and removing all the good pepper flesh! Of course, you guys know better.
My strained sauce was fully cooked, ran the hand blender until liquified then I strained out the solids. There was not much, maybe 3 tablespoons.

59FD1CA0-01BE-4BB4-9C2C-3EE6042E996B.jpeg

Tabasco. Mic drop :)

I keep my "pulp" in the fridge and spread it on toast :)

I've heard people dry and grind into powder but when I tried that I ended up with something more akin to jerky so didn't bother grinding it.

Another option is just to freeze it in ice cube trays and use them as flavour bombs for whatever you're cooking.

I never throw the leftovers away - too much goodness in there!

I haven't used it yet. I'm thinking putting it into salsa to rehydrate it. It seems it should be pretty hot so I hate tossing it.

Thinking about it, you could just dump it into a bottle of vinegar and leave it to soak for a month or so... Hmm... I may try this with my next batch.

If the peppers are really seedy...like fresnos...i will cut them open and get rid of what will easily come out. If they dont have a lot of seeds...like fatalii...the whole thing goes in.

Some skins ...like fresno...are tough and dont blend into the sauce all the way. I like to strain/sieve those sauces for a smoother sauce. I like to dry those tailings and just crush it up to use as pepper flakes, or make seasoning salt blends. It it has a lot of seeds, i usually just pitch it as the seeds can be bitter on their own.

Have fun!
SL

it has a lot of seeds, i usually just pitch it as the seeds can be bitter on their own.
Thats my main complaint too. I find seeds to be bitter so the vast majority of peppers i remove the seeds for sauce. Not a huge deal if using a couple supers in a jala sauce but all the jalas get the seeds removed. I just hate deseeding supers for the most part so those are strained later. Most of the pulp that gets caught in the stainer with them gets pushed through using a spoon.

My last ferment had all the seeds but the few jalas and a spicy bell. After straining it turned out just fine. The sauce is thick enough and not a seed in it.

Last edited:
I dehydrate and grind into a powder and use it on popcorn or as a dry rub.

Works really well with fermented peppers.

Back