• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Uses for green habaneros - sauce or something else?

Not sure this is quite the right thread, but here goes...

Recently I've had some problems with over watering two of my plants: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/72100-seeking-advice-plants-look-very-dehydrated-but-thats-not-it/?p=1646118
Long story short, I now have quite a number of unripe red habaneros after I stripped the plants given the die back that has ensued. (The plants are still surviving, currently in recovery mode.)

So what to do? Are they good for hot sauce? Or a different use? I have a beef jerky recipe that uses a couple of green habaneros and I'll likely make that. But I have more than what's required for this recipe. The pods were really close to turning from green to red, so they're kind of yellow-greenish.

Open to advice!

Thanks for the suggestion SMDS. I have absolutely no chance of getting poblanos or anaheims on this side of the pond, but I can very easily get bog standard green chilis that are an approximation. Therefore a verde sauce sounds interesting.

Verde sauces are something I've not made before, I saw the recipe from BadWolf - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71480-jalapenos-granny-smith-apples-and-garlic-oh-my/?p=1632811 - I might try that.

Any tips are also welcome.

If they've started to ripen at all, they might finish if you close them up in a paper bag with a ripe tomato.

If not, here's a verde sauce I made last year with green habanero and green ghost. It was one of my favorites:

Fermented Serrano, fermented Pequin, habanero, fermented jalapeño, white vinegar, red wine vinegar, garlic, ghost pepper, onion, cane sugar, lime juice, salt, celery seed, oregano, xanthan gum

If you can do some variation of that with the peppers you have available, it will definitely not disappoint.

i do this all the time. a pod will be half way or more to it`s ripe color and i`ll pick it and put it inside with other ripening fruits and veggies. my wife has a 3 tier thingy with tomatoes, bananas, avocado and peaches or whatever we have at the time and i throw my pods up there and a couple days later they fully ripen. i`m doing this with pods that already started to turn to it`s ripe color. i don`t know of it works with completely green pods. pictured is the bottom of a habanero that was still green yesterday and today it has ripened. 

20190810_223746_resized.jpg

Back