• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Using a dehydrator or electric smoker for drying

This is my first post and my first time at growing Ghost Peppers. Has anyone used a dehydrator or electric outside smoker to dry them i would like to keep most of that nice red color if possiable and not dried dark black color and can you keep the seeds if you heat them up for next year? or let them air dry for seeds?
thanks

Lon

In my limited experience...
Save the seeds first and dry them in ambient air on a plate or paper towel.
For the peppers:
Put them in the smoker if you want the smoke flavor added to the pepper and finish in the dehydrator around 100-105F to keep the color.
There are several posts and threads discussing this topic on the forum. Use the search for more info and............
:welcome:

I use my smoker often (not electric) to give them flavor, but I only smoke them for about an hour and a half so they are not completly dried out. I thin finish drying them in a dehyrator. If you smoke them until completly dry they take on too much smoker and become bitter, tart, and burnt.

In my limited experience...
Save the seeds first and dry them in ambient air on a plate or paper towel.
For the peppers:
Put them in the smoker if you want the smoke flavor added to the pepper and finish in the dehydrator around 100-105F to keep the color.
There are several posts and threads discussing this topic on the forum. Use the search for more info and............
:welcome:
+1 on that... Welcome from western Massachusetts

I prefer to slice mine in half so they can dry faster and I can use a bit higher temp than I would if I was saving the seeds. I run the Excalibur dehydrator. The pods come out beautifully red and the powder is perfect.

I air dry if I'm keeping the seeds, and lightly smoke and dehydrate (fresh peppers) for consumption or powders.

Air drying works for consumption too, just takes a lot longer and if conditions arent right, can lead to spoilage.

The colour is a lot nicer on the air dried ones, for sure.

I just finished a batch dried in my electic smoker. A little bit of smoke was added over a few days with low slow heat.

Back