misc Using different jars when canning

I've been experimenting with pickling and water bath canning. I don't really like the typical ball/kerr jars with the two piece lid. I was looking to use something like the jar posted below (typical salsa jar type lid). Is the process the same for water bath canning or are these types that need to be pressure canned? I looked all over and everything I see for water bath canning is using kerr/ball type jars. Eventually would like to take this stuff to the farmers markets and I find one piece lids (even if i have to settle for one piece mason lids) much more appealing

(Note this jar doesn't seem to have the button on top to check seal, I would go for one that does have that)

nREZ65T.png

in general, yes those jars would work for BWB.  There isn't a "button" per se, but when the jar is boiled up and cooled, the lid will suck down and be indented.  If you have any questions about their usage, contact the jar seller and ask for clarification.

Some bottle sources have 1-piece lids for typical canning jars.  If you already have the jars, you can just order the lids from specialty bottle-
http://www.specialtybottle.com/glass-jars/mason-jars-canning-jars

Other jars that have metal lids that will seal with a BWB- same as what you posted but different color~
http://www.specialtybottle.com/glass-jars/hexagon

Are those for food? Says plastisol-lined lids, and googling that is PVC.

You want a BPA-free lined lid.

Okay seems they are used for food, I'd still check on the BPA.

If its a home kitchen / farmers market effort you are interested in, please consider making an appointment with your local Extension office before spending money on packaging.  Here in KY, our exemptions for cottage industry are fairly liberal compare to most states.  However, they are only liberal because they insist on your following established methods, containers,and recipes.  Move away from the established, and you have to spend time and money to get each change approved.

In defense of traditional canning jars, I have noticed that at Farmer's Markets customers enjoy tradition.  Unless dipping in wax, I have no clue what purpose it serves, the folk who do the best all take that ring off, put netting on the top,and then put the ring down on top to hold the netting in place.  With a professional label, the combination of new and old seems to be a good mix.  Heck, I am starting to see legal moonshine sold in mason jars because it is what people expect.

BTW: Salsa Lady mentioned the one safety device on traditional lids.  There is another.  The ring removes so you don't have a lip to catch condensation during storage.  The condensation can lead to rust.  A fairly common practice was to remove the ring and dip the top in cheese wax to create something with some serious shelf life that could be stored in humid conditions like a cellar.

http://forrager.com/law/new-jersey/

Looks like you'll need a commercial kitchen - at the moment - if you plan on selling your products as NJ hasn't passed all the rules yet.

CO has adopted many cottage laws for making jams and bakery products, but not yet for pickled products. Hopefully 2016 will lay down the rules for home producing with vinegar. I think they're worried about pH in the home kitchen.

Most of the customers at the farmers market in my area actually look for the mason jars as they know the products will be "homemade" and will tend to buy more. We have a vendor that uses the smaller glass jars for their jelly, like your picture, and many times the products will get passed by because they think it's a re-sell.

Best of luck in your venture and don't get discouraged.

Great info here and lots of options to choose from. I ended up ordering 2 more cases of traditional ball mason jars while I continue to experiment. Those can all be gifts for friends and family to sample. I like the idea of a one piece lid so i'll definitely be deciding between the one piece mason lid (I agree with you AJ, traditional is good for farmers markets) or the lid posted in the original post. 

Definitely need to start brushing up on NJ laws for packaging and selling. I currently work in a restaurant so I wonder if i'd be able to utilize the kitchen after hours for prep and bottling

basicbatch said:
Great info here and lots of options to choose from. I ended up ordering 2 more cases of traditional ball mason jars while I continue to experiment. Those can all be gifts for friends and family to sample. I like the idea of a one piece lid so i'll definitely be deciding between the one piece mason lid (I agree with you AJ, traditional is good for farmers markets) or the lid posted in the original post. 

Definitely need to start brushing up on NJ laws for packaging and selling. I currently work in a restaurant so I wonder if i'd be able to utilize the kitchen after hours for prep and bottling
Usually you can use a restaurant or other commercial kitchen (think Eagles, Elks, Masonic, fire hall, church, community center) after hours.  In WA, the caveat is that once you are licensed in a particular location you can only process at that location.  If you move locations, it requires re-licensing.  Not a big deal, but another $55..... 

It can be confusing to figure out who to talk to about licensing.  I've found that in most cases, your local health district that does restaurant inspections is not the agency that licenses food processors.  I'd encourage you to get in touch with your state licencing agency to start with.  Usually the restaurant licensing people don't know squat about food processing, they'll tell you it's not allowed, or charge fees for licenses you don't need, or don't know what's considered a processing facility.....:rolleyes:

Where I live in WA state, if I process and sell RETAIL (directly to the customer at the local farmers market) I have to have my kitchen, septic and water systems inspected and approved by the county health district (this was going to be about $500 back-in-the-day...), plus pay a yearly licensing fee ($100 to sell at the FM) and yearly water tests done by the county lab (even though I already do yearly testing with an independant lab...but NOOooooo...that's not good enough!  It has to be the COUNTY's own lab for the water test...:banghead:)

And after all that with the county, I still have to get licensed and inspected with the state dept of AG in order to wholesale inside WA state, and since I am selling across state lines, that also required registering with the FDA.  Everywhere else in the state, if the processor is state licensed, that's good enough for the local farmers markets.  But not where I live! 

So I bagged the FM, and just went wholesale and FDA registered. 

Re: canning jars- Not knowing where you are getting the jars from, but check out wallyworld, and around here, the Cenex or North40 farm supply stores actually have pretty good prices on canning jars.  It's kind of out of season so if you don't see them on the shelf, ask.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!!
SL

Back