• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Using organic farm manure .

Just wondering if anyone has used organic farm manure with compost when planting chillies ? Am looking for advice as wether it works well or not ? What sort of results did you get ?

Thanks guys :)

I always use compost and manure whether certified organic or not and have good results. Always best to feed the soil and let the soil feed the plants. Just make sure the manure is well composted and not fresh

Hey potawie ,
The manure is well composted and from a garden centre in a 60 litre bag ... Some people say it doesn't do much for the plants . What sort of mix would you recommend ? 50 / 50 ?

Organic farm manure that doesn't do much for plants, blasphemy!!!

I add 3 to 4 inches to the garden's surface and till it in. I think it works fairly well.

I have experience Magic Wonders with Duck manure but Yea it has to be rested for a couple of months, as fresh can burn the plants and If im right any manure is Rich in Nitrogen and You want at least a level amount of NPK not just Nitrogen, I would sugest just as a topping on your plants after you mix it with other food scraps and many other organic materials, and Why not Compost Tea.

Would you recommend cow poo, chick poo, or goat poo??
Sheep manure is best in my opinion (I used to buy it in dry pellets) however growing up on a farm we used to collect the old dry manure from under the woolshed pens. It is well balanced approx.NPK(.70:.30:.90) and easily worked into soil Acid loving plants enjoy it and its one of the richer of the animal manures.
Chicken and Rabbit are the most nutrient rich of the lot of common animal manures.

http://m.yates.co.nz/products/organic-gardening/#/products/organic-gardening/fertiliser/natures-way-organic-sheep-pellets/

An example of the pellets I used to use when I lived in New Zealand

Well holy cow crap! :) I only put organic material into my garden and I've always seen great results from cow or horse crap. To add, don't be scared to use fresh just as long as you won't be planting within 30days. I use it every other year and I'm about to dump a few hundred pounds into my garden now to till in for the season.

Good luck this season to everyone with your garden shit! :)

I have horse, cow, rabbit, and chicken....

the chicken will burn your plants... Horse I've used with impunity on other plants - even going as far to as to use it like a mulch - and had no problems... Been more conservative with it in my pepper garden because Horse comes with lots of undigested seeds... Particularly nasty are the stinging nettles one can sometimes get.

I've heard rabbit is ok to use nearly straight from beneath their cage to the garden... But I haven't tried it... I put some on my compost heap though.

Chicken will not burn if it is composted but chicken and rabbit are high in N and better for vining or leafy crops (greens, brassicas, cucurbits). I will restate it is important to watch the N with peppers. I used fresh rabbit manure years ago on peppers and then I planted them rather far apart that year too. The plants grew ginormous! By late in season there was a bumper crop of fruit, but notice I said late in season! It took them months to calm down the green growth and put out fruit. They needed major caging too.

When you buy bagged manure the one advantage is the numbers are on the bag so no guessing.

thats good to know...

I nearly tilled a bunch of rabbit into my garden, but since I had bagged and composted cow already, I figured I'd hold off...

Sounds like it was a good decision.

Back