• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Using perlite + rubbermade container for humidity

A cheap, jury-rigged apparatus than can be used to grow mushrooms involves placing a 1 or 2 inch layer of perlite on the bottom of a sealed container such as a rubbermaid container, then pouring water in the bottom to a height of half the perlite layer's height. The perlite evaporates some of the water and provides a lot of humidity in the container. I have used this to grow mushrooms and if I remember correctly it provides ~80+% humidity. Has anyone tried or considered using a similar setup for germinating seeds or possibly to use for rooting clones?

It seems to me like it could work...

A cheap, jury-rigged apparatus than can be used to grow mushrooms involves placing a 1 or 2 inch layer of perlite on the bottom of a sealed container such as a rubbermaid container, then pouring water in the bottom to a height of half the perlite layer's height. The perlite evaporates some of the water and provides a lot of humidity in the container. I have used this to grow mushrooms and if I remember correctly it provides ~80+% humidity. Has anyone tried or considered using a similar setup for germinating seeds or possibly to use for rooting clones?

It seems to me like it could work...

No I haven't tried that, but I've used moist perlite and vermiculite to incubate snake eggs that need a consistent high humidity. I never let it stand in water however, I saturated it and added water as needed. It would probably work for seeds as well.

Back