• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Using the Correct Soil

IMO any soil with a good pH is fine. I grow in pots, so use potting soil, and have used Miracle Gro and other brands just fine. To me, once you've ensured the pH is where it's supposed to be, the more important thing is which fertilizers to use when. For new transplants, I give them "starter" fertilizer, such as Miracle Gro's Quick Start. Once they are established, I switch to something that helps them focus on developing stems and leaves. Then, once they begin production mode, I switch to something with high calcium and magnesium, such as Botanicare's CalMag. There are others who swear by different soils, but my plants get big and healthy enough to make my neighbors quite jealous - and they're retirees who spend hours every day working on their gardens, while I work full time and take classes, so don't spend nearly as much time on my plants.

I do have a bed in the front of my house, too. A couple years ago I had a landscaper come and remove everything in it, including the rather clay-filled soil to a depth of at least a foot or so. I had him bring in good soil to fill it. I did put a few jalapenos up there, as they don't develop extensive root systems (I live in snow country, so jalapenos in the ground only last one season here), and they were very happy with that. Again, just a decent pH as far as the soil was concerned, and fertilized them the same as the plants in pots in the back.

Back