• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

using vitamin tablets on plants

hey guys, i have a bottle of calcium/magnesium/D3 in my medicine cabinet which is expired.

can i grind these tablets up and add to my soil, will it do anything?

the ingredients obviously should be beneficial (even if depleted due to age),

but is the gelatin/binding agent that makes the vitamins into tablet form possibly detrimental?

anyone ever done this, and how did it go?

i figure it can't really hurt, but maybe i'm wrong?

thanks,
-rob

Wont work any better than many calcium products if your dietary supplement is carbonate. If its calcium acetate or calcium citrate it will be readily available (water soluble). The citrate version is sometimes sold in tablets as a supplement. Costco carries them for example. Calcium acetate though is much less common because its also sold as Rx for renal failure patients. Its a phosphorous "blocker".

If you have the more common calcium carbonate, i probably would not bother with them but they also probably wont hurt a thing.

Why do we always want to add extra "stuff" to our plants?
Follow convention, and you'll get expected results.  Deviate, and you get what you get.  There is no known benefit to adding such things.  If your plants are growing well, resist the urge to do "more better-er".  If they're not, find the root cause, and address it.
Expired pharmaceuticals go in the trash, not in the garden.

I use calcium acetate capsules if using a nutrient with low or no added calcium. Works fine. These have nothing else added to them though. You can buy kilo bags of it much cheaper though. Mine are expired Phoslo caps. 667mg calcium acetate is all they contain. Its not something you would buy for using in gardens. They are very very expensive. You can get the same thing in powder for around $25/Kilo as a dietary supplement and not a Rx.

https://www.bulksupplements.com/products/calcium-acetate?variant=32133366218863

Back