• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

USPS "incorrect address" and ordering seeds

So I think I may know why seeds still haven't arrived. I was looking through my amazon.com orders and the one USPS item on there (laptop charger) was returned to sender and the reason listed was "incorrect address". I checked the address and am 100% sure it is correct. All my Fedex/UPS items arrive just fine, along with all the bills. I checked usps.com/zip4 and the address is indeed correct.

Has anyone experienced this before? I have two packages of seeds, one from Neil in Australia, and the other from Texas I think. The one from Neil has been over 3 weeks, and the one from peppermania has been 13 days. Of course I will call the post office as soon as I can to try to get this straightened out, but I can't do that until Monday. Does anyone know what they do with the letters in this case? Do they send them back to the sender? Hold them for a certain amount of time? Trash them? It's funny that they can't deliver to this "incorrect address" yet I see the USPS mail carrier sticking bills and junk mail in my mailbox every day. The bills and other mail are in a different name (my roommate's), that is the only reason I can think of why they would say it is incorrect address. Maybe I'm not listed at this address or something, I don't see how that would matter, but I've read on the internet a few accounts of people having the same problem for that reason.

It should be delivered no problem even if the name is wrong, unless the postman knows it is wrong. It may be a case where the postman knows who lives there (your roommate) and does not know you moved in. Talk to your postman and post office.

Yes, it would be returned to sender.

Also, ask Buddah. He knows.

Moved to The Lounge.

With stuff coming from Australia, I have had stuff just flat out not show up. Its nothing that anyone has done THERE. I know with Neil, I had a package with seeds and sauce that never showed up, and HE didnt get it back. I contacted him to let him know, and he immediately sent another package out. I cant speak for anyone, but I know Neil always makes stuff right if something bad happens.
Good luck!

With stuff coming from Australia, I have had stuff just flat out not show up. Its nothing that anyone has done THERE. I know with Neil, I had a package with seeds and sauce that never showed up, and HE didnt get it back. I contacted him to let him know, and he immediately sent another package out. I cant speak for anyone, but I know Neil always makes stuff right if something bad happens.
Good luck!

Yeah, I contacted him, he already offered to resend. I'm mainly trying to see if there's a way to still get the seeds without people having to resend, I would hate for them to have to resend seeds they already mailed for something outside of their control. Also hoping to make sure if they do have to resend them that the same thing doesn't happen again. I'll contact the post office Monday and see what they have to say, I guess there isn't really anything I can do until then...

This is really, really irritating...

Put a note for the mail carrier inside the mailbox telling him you reside there. If this is the issue, it's the quickest way to resolve it. However, it may not be the issue at all. Packages from overseas can take many many weeks, even months.

I agree that you need to get to know your mailman and let him know your name. Then hit the post with your info so they know you are a resident there.

Put a note for the mail carrier inside the mailbox telling him you reside there. If this is the issue, it's the quickest way to resolve it. However, it may not be the issue at all. Packages from overseas can take many many weeks, even months.

If it were just the one from Australia taking so long, I might think that was the case, or that the letter just got lost, but since one from within the US is also taking a very long time, and another package was sent all the way here, then flat out returned to the sender with the reason listed as "incorrect address", I definitely think something else is going on. Especially considering that the numerous things I've ordered shipped by UPS and Fedex have arrived here and very quickly. It's only the USPS items that aren't showing up.

I really think the mail carrier just doesn't think I live there. I never imagined that a mail carrier would just assume someone didn't live at a certain location and trash the mail, but it really looks like that is what is happening. I'm 0-3 on USPS shipments, 5-5 on UPS/Fedex, while my roommate gets mail here every day through USPS with the exact same address.

Thanks for the idea of leaving a note for the carrier though. I will do that, along with calling the post office. Hopefully this situation gets sorted out before I have to go postal. :D

First only postal workers go postal, us civilians go well civil I think. lol. UPS and FedEx are paid to deliver a package to where ever you tell them to. This would be why my neighbor got all my kids christmas presents delivered to his house with my name on them. haha they never found them. The USPS on the other hand likes to think they know all, so unless you personally get regular mail like bills and such there they figure someone screwed up. Best of luck and check with your local post as most have a lost/wrong address holding area for letters. Some send to a central office if they don't keep it themselves.

I talked to someone at the post office today, she confirmed that the address is correct and said that most likely the mail was marked as incorrect address and returned to sender because my name was on it rather than the guy who has lived there for awhile. She left a note with the mail carrier, so hopefully the problem will be fixed now.

Unfortunately, they don't hold mail marked as incorrect address, they return it to the sender immediately. So now I'm going to have to have the letters resent and wait another week or more. :( Neil already offered to resend, I emailed him and Bayoutrader (Peppermania). Hopefully Peppermania will be willing to resend as well.

By the time the mail gets here, assuming it actually does, I will be close to a month behind schedule. It's really frustrating considering I planned on getting an early start this year because of the short Indiana growing season and the time it takes superhots to mature. :( Thanks a lot, mail carrier, for screwing up my growing season. :(

What seeds did you have coming?

From Neil:

Chocolate bhut jolokia
7 Pot
Yellow 7 Pot
Douglah/chocolate 7 Pot
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend
Trinidad Scorpion
Bonda Ma Jacques
Congo Black
Red Devil's Tongue
Aji Lemon

From peppermania:

Chimayo
Jamaica Red Hot
Pimento
Trinidad Perfume
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican
Yellow habanero
Red habanero
Peruvian white habanero
Brazilian starfish
Aji Cristal

Got a reply from Neil, he's resending them either today or tomorrow I think. Good guy to do business with.

Haven't heard from peppermania yet, but I only emailed them this morning. I have some more coming from pepperlover, but those hopefully should arrive without problems as today was only the 2nd business day since I ordered those. It should be fixed by the time they arrive. I hope. :D

Ok, I got a reply from Beth at peppermania, she hasn't had the ordered returned yet and isn't exactly sure when it was mailed. It may have gotten mailed late, in which case it might actually show up here still. If it was mailed earlier, it should be getting back to her soon, assuming the mail carrier didn't just throw the letter away. Fortunately I'm dealing with good people who care about their customers and will fix the situation. :)

There is definately something to be said about people that conduct a GREAT outfit. At least you did buy anything from Kaiser...

The same thing has happened on an order coming from Peppermania. Have had email communication with Beth and she is going to resend on 1/10. This fubar is totally on the USPS. Beth has been prompt on all communications with me; about this matter and other inquires I have made over time. I have complete confidence and will continue to do business with a reputable company like Bayou Traders. Agree Avon, pleasure to do business with good people.

I purchased a few seed packets from Pepperlover and they arrived in a timely fashion (via USPS) without incident. They even threw in a couple of extra seed packs!! First time with them and will be back next year. Again good people!

I have lived at my address for 20+ years; have a standard single roadside mailbox like many do. Never have had delivery issues before. UPS and FedEx just leave deliveries on the front porch, so will USPS if package is too big for mailbox.

I am thinking that the problem may exist with the USPS in the Texas neck of the woods rather than at the local PO level.

I received an order from pepperlover early this week, it was the latest one I ordered, so it wasn't returned to sender like the others. Beth from peppermania got my order returned on Friday marked as "Return to sender- Attempted unknown" or something like that and has resent it to me. So both orders should be here middle to late next week hopefully. :woohoo:

Well Neil's seeds arrived in the mail today. Sent on the 3rd, arrived on the 8th, from Australia, that's fast! :woohoo: Unless they're the original seeds and got lost in the Bermuda triangle for a month before coming here. :onfire:

Back