• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

UV Bulbs.

I've managed to find and old UV CFL in the back of one of my cupboards and was wondering if I added that to my light collection what would be the effect on the chilli plants? Would the UV light burn the leaves?

I read an interesting article not to long ago about UVB light causing an increase in trichome production in cannabis. Something about it being a defensive reaction, sort of like a suntan to UV light.

No clue what it would do to peppers.

hmmm. just been reading... and i think it obviously depends on the type of uv rays given out. not entirely sure what my bulb does.

200 - 280 nm --- UVC ultraviolet range which is extremely harmful to plants because it is highly toxic.
280 - 315 nm --- Includes harmful UVB ultraviolet light which causes plants colors to fade.
315 - 380 nm --- Range of UVA ultraviolet light which is neither harmful nor beneficial to plant growth.
380 - 400 nm --- Start of visible light spectrum. Process of chlorophyll absorption begins. UV protected plastics ideally block out any light below this range.

How can light be toxic?

I understand that it could cause the plant to produce toxins, but light contains no chemicals, so far as I know.

Back