• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

UV Lamps and bulbs!

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this topic has already been asked but I'm pretty new to growing chillies and was wondering what is a good bulb to get? the weather in the UK where I live is not that dependable so whenever there is a decent day i will place them in a shaded area as their not fully hardened yet, so when the weather is bad i need something to give them more of a boost.
Learning about all the different things about UV bulbs and all that is involved is a bit overwhelming when just starting out!

Many thanks,
Leo.

Let's break it down real simple: include enough UV light into your grow and you get plants that don't need to be hardened off for sunlight. That is, the plants won't get sunburned when you move them out into direct sunlight on the first day.

They still need to be hardened off for wind and cold.

Put a strong fan or two on your plants while indoors and they don't need to be hardened off for wind but tying to a stake while outside still doesn't hurt. As I understand it, adding silicon to the feeding will also produce sturdier plants which makes them more wind resistant (haven't tried yet).

That leaves you with hardening off for cold. If you have a plant that has been indoors at 18-20 degrees with inclusion of UV and strong fan and you put it outside overnight at 10 degrees it will be fine. But if it drops down to 5 degrees on the very first night outside, probably not so fine - I'd bring it back inside for the night. If it's been outside for a week already and it drops down to 5 degrees instead of 8 or 9, I wouldn't anymore worry.

Back