• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Vacuum Sealed Bags Not Very Inflated

I did a vacuum-sealed bag fermentation with just peppers and 3% salt. Now that the bags have been fermenting away (I hope) for a while, I've noticed that they're not inflating as much as the ones in YouTube videos about this method. Also, I can smell the peppers a little when I hold the bags close. I guess this means I have a slow leak or some leaching or something like that.

What should I do?

bags_Oct_14_2022.jpg

They look sealed OK. I would expect juice leaking from them if the seal was broken.
Are you keeping them in at least a 70f environment? Perhaps warm them up and give it a little more time.

They look sealed OK. I would expect juice leaking from them if the seal was broken.
Are you keeping them in at least a 70f environment? Perhaps warm them up and give it a little more time.
Thanks! It fluctuates a lot in this old house. Maybe I could put them next to a heat vent. I think if they're alright I may just go ahead and make some sauce with them.

First batch done! More to come, although it will be green and non-fermented. It's pretty tasty! Heat ramps up not immediately but pretty fast. After a few days of tasting them fresh, the fermented sauce of course isn't quite the same heat, but I'm pleased with the flavor and, I mean, it's still pretty hot.

sauce.jpg

Looks good. Don't forget to check the pH. If you don't have the means, you might want to store in the fridge. Cute little bottles. Look like honey bears!

Edit: Just read your other post. pH sounds good!

Last edited:
Back