• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Variable-definiton

If a variety is still variable to me that means on a plant you will get some true pods and some VARIABLES. Now if you get a plant and it grows all nontypical pods, is that variety variable or unstable?

To truly get a true type pod, my guess you would need a cutting from the proper producing plant.

right?

i would say its unstable if you are not getting any pods that look like they are suppose to, and sounds about right to get true pods.. ya need a plant that is throwing out true pods and just continually take clones from it..

tylerdodd25_92, I know there are cloning threads here and I have read a lot of them, yet since you bring it up, I have a very simple question. Are all pepper plants cloneable? Especially without a science lab in my basement? I'm trying to save a branch that broke off of a caribbean red. It even has a pod! But NO roots as of yet. Any short teaching/tips would be greatly appreciated.

@Armac, that was a pretty cryptic post. I buy from reputable sellers both commercial and private sources. I really have no variations on many, and if I did, I would alert the seller. I plant many types of peppers. Bells never get variable, although I'm not sure I would complain if one went all rogue on me and bit me back! But as far as shape, if that is what you mean, Jalapenos, Cayenne, Pepperoncini, Habanero, Aji Limon, etc, all grow true to form yet heat may vary from pod to pod, truth being told. For the supers, I can only speak from what I have grown and currently the Brain Strain Yellow has put out decent sized pods, are still green, and maybe one or two of the 25 pods or so do not have the distinctive stinger, yet the "crumples" are where they should be. TS Butch are all the same shape, yet producing slower than the BS.

To your question about many variations on the same plant... That is unacceptable, in my humble opinion. I would not pay for seeds to be a growing guinea pig. As I typed, I have never come across that issue yet. And yes, when the season is over and I am satisfied with my efforts, I send a thank you email to the companies/private sellers for providing quality seed. It goes both ways I guess. Variations should be a novelty, not the norm, right?

not necessarily

i got some piri piri from landrace seed a few years back and there where two distinct pod shapes
im not sure how to explain this?? either

thanks your friend Joe

armac said:
If a variety is still variable to me that means on a plant you will get some true pods and some VARIABLES. Now if you get a plant and it grows all nontypical pods, is that variety variable or unstable?

To truly get a true type pod, my guess you would need a cutting from the proper producing plant.

right?
First question, I would say its unstable or a cross or just a variety that doesn't make consistent shaped pods.
And second question, yes. No guarantee future generations will ever reproduce the same pods, especially if a cross.

My thoughts were that a seed that grows a plant full of nontypical pods, not even one advertised pod, cannot be be even close to a stable variety. It is more stable for the pods it grows, not the ones it is supposed to.

armac said:
My thoughts were that a seed that grows a plant full of nontypical pods, not even one advertised pod, cannot be be even close to a stable variety. It is more stable for the pods it grows, not the ones it is supposed to.
What about if the color is not the same?

armac said:
Agreed!

schweddypods said:
tylerdodd25_92, I know there are cloning threads here and I have read a lot of them, yet since you bring it up, I have a very simple question. Are all pepper plants cloneable? Especially without a science lab in my basement? I'm trying to save a branch that broke off of a caribbean red. It even has a pod! But NO roots as of yet. Any short teaching/tips would be greatly appreciated.

not wanting to hijack the thread just the gist of it...yes all peppers can be cloned... if the branch has been off the plant with out being in water or being moist then there is no way you are going to be able to clone it and if you were to even try to clone it the pepper would have to be cut off to focus the energy on making roots... when cloning you need humidity so I would advise buying a seed starting plastic dome setup. You also need some quality rooting hormone available at your nearest hydro shop, garden center or on line..

Back