Variables from same pod?

When I first germinated my F1 seeds this year I kept seeds from each pod separated and germ'd all the seeds from a single pod in its own dish and transplanted all viable starts into the same container.  I now have several of these one gallon containers that look similar to the one in this pic.  Many plants from the same pod of various sizes.  The native mother Chiltepin has tons of small leaves, very bushy but no single leaf is longer than 1.5".  The F1 offspring's are showing all kinds of traits including leaves up to 3.5" long and some even having deep purple trunks.  I need to decide which to cull soon so which ones do you think show the most Reaper like traits and why so much variance from the same pod?  None in this container has been topped and clearly all get the same light, nute's etc...

5HLvHG0.jpg

Can't tell you about reaper traits, but variability is to be expected. Each seed is fertilized from its own egg and pollen, so all of them should be unique.

+1 cruzzfish

F1 is still going to show a bit of variance, I like to use human traits as an example sometimes...think of how two siblings look in comparison to one another from an interracial couple like a white/black family.  They still will have the same overall mixed traits with slight variances.  They each come from a separate egg and sperm.  When two biracial (white/black) people have children together is when the wild swings in genetic traits will happen, skin tone, hair traits, eye color, it all becomes wildly unpredictable in an F2.  There's even the slight possibility that your Chiltepin plant could have self-pollinated some of its ovules and others got the reaper pollen.  If you have stable reapers then you should have slightly similar plants with perhaps small variances like the purple/black stems on some and not on others...pods should look very similar for the most part.

Each pod having seperate pheno's is easy to understand but individual seeds ? I haven't looked into seed creation but I would of assumed that as each seed goes to form it would reach out and grab those already mixed genes for DNA , is it possible that as each seed forms it looks to the total of pheno's given to the pod from the parents and grabs a random set each time??

I would of thought that half would of been lost during pod conception and that would be then passed to all seed within ?

KrakenPeppers said:
Each pod having seperate pheno's is easy to understand but individual seeds ? I haven't looked into seed creation but I would of assumed that as each seed goes to form it would reach out and grab those already mixed genes for DNA , is it possible that as each seed forms it looks to the total of pheno's given to the pod from the parents and grabs a random set each time??

I would of thought that half would of been lost during pod conception and that would be then passed to all seed within ?
Each seed is a separate ovule and gets fertilized by a separate pollen grain, they are already formed before fertilization.  That's why you can have variations in F2 from the same pod if the flower is self pollinated.  Heterozygous gene grouping is a hodge-podge of different gene combinations.

basically when the pollen lands on the pistil it sprouts a root-like structure that grows rapidly into the ovarian area of the plant, reaches into the first unfertilized seed it touches.

Helvete said:
Each seed is a separate ovule and gets fertilized by a separate pollen grain, they are already formed before fertilization.  That's why you can have variations in F2 from the same pod if the flower is self pollinated.  Heterozygous gene grouping is a hodge-podge of different gene combinations.

basically when the pollen lands on the pistil it sprouts a root-like structure that grows rapidly into the ovarian area of the plant, reaches into the first unfertilized seed it touches.
I didn't know that, thanks for the lesson .. So in theory , if I took one grain of pollen would my pod only have 1 seed or only have 1 viable seed??
And two if I mixed 3 pollens and pollinated at the exact time would I have a possible 3 crosses in one pod ??

KrakenPeppers said:
I didn't know that, thanks for the lesson .. So in theory , if I took one grain of pollen would my pod only have 1 seed or only have 1 viable seed??
And two if I mixed 3 pollens and pollinated at the exact time would I have a possible 3 crosses in one pod ??
Yes for the first one, and if you mean, for example, reaper x tepin, AND reaper x jalapeno, AND reaper x habanero, then it would be a yes, but not a reaper x tepin x jalapeno x habanero.

My question remains as to which to cull in the picture leaving the most reaper like?  I'm leaning toward the large leaf with purple stem.

cruzzfish said:
Yes for the first one, and if you mean, for example, reaper x tepin, AND reaper x jalapeno, AND reaper x habanero, then it would be a yes, but not a reaper x tepin x jalapeno x habanero.

Is that yes to one seed, or yes to only one viable seed... ?

Yeah I meant if I mixed 3 pollens in a bowl and fertilise a seed could it have 3 types of crosses..

Nuclieye said:
My question remains as to which to cull in the picture leaving the most reaper like?  I'm leaning toward the large leaf with purple stem.

Id wait till I see some pod growth.. From my experience's Reaper plants can be fickle at best, I get one good looking reaper pod for every 10 grown... I wish I had more plants to select from

KrakenPeppers said:

Is that yes to one seed, or yes to only one viable seed... ?

One in total I think. Could be the other way though, I don't think  anyone's ever been actually successful in fertilizing one with only a few grains of pollen just because of how difficult it is to get.

Back