• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Various symptoms, is it serious or.. (pics inside)

I have recently transplanted Reapers into a raised bed, and they seem to be handling it rather well, since they were in a grow tent for a few months before I got around to building the tent. I have recently noticed that it has some deadspots with some of the leaves, is this sun scald or something else? I see some of the leaves have been nibbled a bit, but it looks as if whatever took a bite has left the reaper alone for a while.

2015-09-21%2017.15.06.jpg

Although it's a little tough to spot, the pod on the right has a bit of what appears to be sunscorch?? Is this the case? They are in full sun from 7:30 - 17:30, and since its only spring the temps have been around 12c-28c. 

The peppers that I really am concerned about are 4 younger Moruga's which did not sit in the Growtent for as long as the reapers did, though they were born and raised in it (alas I did not take down the dates I sowed em) but since I've planted them in the raised beds they have shriveled and warped. Is this sun shock or is this a mite/pest? I cannot see anything under the leaves, though Mites would prob be too small to spot?? The leaf warp doesnt seem to have transferred to any of the Reapers though,thoughts?

2015-09-21%2017.15.28.jpg

2015-09-21%2017.15.39.jpg

(I still have 3 moruga seedlings in the growtent that I never took out which I could fall back on but the size difference between the two sets is pretty huge, so I'd like to recover this if at all possible..)

CC welcome

PS: before pics of when they went in:

RED: Reapers
BLUE: Morugas

2015-08-19%2013.53.36.jpg

:confused:

Could me mites but most likely nutrient overdose . Have you had your soil checked ? What have you been feeding them ? 

Broad mites will usually cause a brown/rusty discoloring on the undersides of the leaves . 

I reckon it'd take big bucks getting soil checked here in SA, but I've mixed a bit of potting soil with compost from the nursery. I also added a bit of Epsom Salts and Bonemeal around the rootzone. I also don't think that it is mites since my more established reapers planted in the same bed are fine (Reapers on the right, Moruga's on the left - Photo is from about a month ago when they went into the bed):

DSC_0340%20%28Home%27s%20conflicted%20copy%202015-08-30%29.JPG

We've been having a fair bit of rain, which has most likely removed a lot of the saltpetre, but I think you are on the money with regards to the problem coming from the soil, whether it's the soil itself, or if it's the nutes, I cant be sure, it's just strange that the problem is mainly on the Morugas, and the Reapers appear unaffected. 

Interesting. I just lost two Reaper plants doing the same thing. My wife finally cleared all her tomato beds, so I thought I would take advantage and plant some of my unproducing potted plants in her good soil.   All of my stunted potted plants loved it. They got greener, started flowering within a week, then my two Reaper plants just shriveled up and died in like three days. It sucks because they were loaded with flowers. All the other plants are still thriving. I just think they were more sensitive to the extra water retention of the new soil. But who knows.  

the dead spots on the leaves are absolutely sunburn.  Plants will most likely outgrow it.  The twisting, curling, puckering is herbicidal damage. People spray herbicides very lackadaisicaly not realizing theyre carried by the wind and damaging their neighbors plants.  Many sprays actually vaporize when they hit hot pavement so they can be carried for miles.  Id bet my life on my diagnosis, I see it evry year, a leaf that grows upside down is a dead give away.

Agree, herbicide damage, probably 2-4d. Our yard company got 6 hybrid roses and my entire garden this spring. The toms and peppers recovered after a few months and I ended up getting a small harvest.

Damage characterized by mutant looking small twisted new growth.

Worst part is that 2-4d remains in the soil for a year. We'll say I had minimal problems with broadleaf weeds in the garden, still to this day.

Thanks for the replies, my neighbor was spraying a weed killer a couple of weeks ago, so I think you guys are spot on. What does that mean in terms of food safety of the crops (if I get any from them). Also should I toss the plant, or leave it/cut the deformed leaves off?

I wouldnt fertilize right away, the plants are stressed and need a rest.  As long as you have good drainage I would flush the soil and hose off the plant.  It can take a long time for a plant to out grow herbicide damage if its severe but young plants bounce back from slight damage.  Safety?  your guess is as good as mine, its probably no more exsposure than you absorb from going outside while your neighbor sprays.  Most likely you'll find that air is channeled over the plants that were effected and so future plantings in this area will be at risk unless you put up some kind of wind break.

Back