• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Vast quantities of dried peppers

i have a question? if you could grow this amount of peppers. why in the world would you not want to get rid of them fresh? if you can grow this amount of plants you will crush all competion and not give a fuct about any powder. every pod will be gone as soon as its ready.

tgps:: as far as just seeding the ground. the biggest farms in the world all start in hoop houses and plant seeedlings into the grounds.if you are depending on a thosand acre crop you want your plants strong and protected before going into ground and im only talking about peppers in this situation. i know lots of other things get sowed. my wife has done hours of marketing research on the pepper business. there are countries right now that are paying land owners and farmers to stop growing what they are growing and having them start growing these super hots. so they can keep there exporting money coming in. look at the ghost pepper and how it has flooded into mainstream and how the price as dropped over the last few years.

There are chile fields in NM that probably produce that amount of chile. Pests aren't terrible there either because its a damn dessert and they already hire Mexican labor to pick the harvest. They sell fresh "hatch" green chiles at something like $2/lb in NM at the stores. If they changed varieties to something with a little more bite the tooling cost wouldn't be huge and they already turn a profit at their current sales value.

Looks like they can yield around 1-3 tons per acre there (fresh) with NM style peppers.

Chile%20Yield.jpg

tgps:: as far as just seeding the ground. the biggest farms in the world all start in hoop houses and plant seeedlings into the grounds.if you are depending on a thosand acre crop you want your plants strong and protected before going into ground and im only talking about peppers in this situation. i know lots of other things get sowed. my wife has done hours of marketing research on the pepper business. there are countries right now that are paying land owners and farmers to stop growing what they are growing and having them start growing these super hots. so they can keep there exporting money coming in. look at the ghost pepper and how it has flooded into mainstream and how the price as dropped over the last few years.

Like I said, I was just kicking the numbers around to see what came of it. I agree, why would anyone direct seed peppers? I know I wouldn't, but using something like this might make is more doable.

wPIX--WWPlanter--Field.jpg

IMGP1393.JPG

As far as the other countries go, I don't blame them. It's obviously profitable for them. Unless someone figures out a way to make it profitable here, the US companies are going to continue to import.

Either way, this thread was an interesting thought experiment and I really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and ideas. I guess we will never really know how feasible it is until someone tries it.

There are chile fields in NM that probably produce that amount of chile. Pests aren't terrible there either because its a damn dessert and they already hire Mexican labor to pick the harvest. They sell fresh "hatch" green chiles at something like $2/lb in NM at the stores. If they changed varieties to something with a little more bite the tooling cost wouldn't be huge and they already turn a profit at their current sales value.

Looks like they can yield around 1-3 tons per acre there (fresh) with NM style peppers.

Chile%20Yield.jpg

Biosolids........human waste.....pass

From what I produce on my But Jolokia plants and make into powder form, and figuring a spacing of 2ft by 5ft, solid on an acre, I have a figure of 60 acres for the 40 tons of powder, or 120 acres for the 80 tons. People have farms that size, so I don't see there being a problem of at least being able to produce that many peppers for powder. At what cost they can be produced is something I wouldn't know anything about, but whether or not it can even be done, then I would say yes, it can be done if you have that much land. Like sic said, if I had that many peppers, I'd try to ship as many as possible fresh pods instead of making the powder. Tom

i have plenty of space to grow that many peppers- drying them would seem to be the most problematic aspect. too humid for field drying here... maybe let them dry on the plants which would in turn yield crappy looking pods.

Now I have a question. You use the numbers 40 to 80 tons of powder in your question. Is that how much your friend is bringing into the US? I thought I would do a search to see and couldn't find anything real fast, does anyone know what the Bhut Jolokia production might be in India in a given year? I heard they were the widest grown hot pepper in the world, but just wondering about how much production that is. Is 80 tons just the tip of the iceberg? It pretty much would have to be. Tom

300 million pounds are exported out of india every year.

now this was some research from a couple years ago from a world market analyst of the pepper production. Guyana is the place we need to worry about. the government is making every inch of farm land into ppepper.

A few years ago, but has some good info.
http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Chile-Pepper-Industry-To-Increase-Production

One grower's numbers.
Johnson predicts 3,600 to 4,000 pounds of dried red chile per acre, 10 percent to 15 percent higher than average. Johnson grows 500 acres of red chiles and about 100 acres of jalapeños.

Now I have a question. You use the numbers 40 to 80 tons of powder in your question. Is that how much your friend is bringing into the US? I thought I would do a search to see and couldn't find anything real fast, does anyone know what the Bhut Jolokia production might be in India in a given year? I heard they were the widest grown hot pepper in the world, but just wondering about how much production that is. Is 80 tons just the tip of the iceberg? It pretty much would have to be. Tom

Yes. Closer to 80 than 40. It`s flake, not powder. The final product has to have a specific heat level (250,000 SHU, but I`m not sure in what mass), be ultra low in pesticides or herbicides (almost organic levels were his exact words) and has to be sterilised at the port of entry. It goes to supply many of the big hot sauce brands.

It`s really interesting what everyone has to say, I`m enjoying this thread immensely.

Okay this is what surprised me the most with this thread. NO one has mentioned the difference in climate between India and America? Indian farmers I am sure do not plant yearly like they would have to in the US. They most likely plant every 3 years and harvest many times a year as in a tropical climates, the peppers can produce many times a year and also the plants can grow without frost damage or season problems. There is no farm on America that could compete with the difference in climate. And I am not an expert not should my statements be taken for fact.

Yes. Closer to 80 than 40. It`s flake, not powder. The final product has to have a specific heat level (250,000 SHU, but I`m not sure in what mass), be ultra low in pesticides or herbicides (almost organic levels were his exact words) and has to be sterilised at the port of entry. It goes to supply many of the big hot sauce brands.

It`s really interesting what everyone has to say, I`m enjoying this thread immensely.
I saw earlier in the thread you mentioned maybe him needing less if the peppers were hotter. Would he be interested in something like Brain Strain flakes that would more than likely be at least twice the heat as the bhut flakes? If so, the numbers would go down on the weight he would need. Still just curious. These reapers are supposed to be super hot and I think they said they had at least 30 acres of them in SC. I wonder if that would do it? I also think this thread is interesting for a number os reasons. BTW, I see you live in Vista. We just had our Cycad Society board meeting, mini symposium and auction just south of there and got to eat dinner at our treasurers's house, which is in Vista. I pretty little town. Looks like a nice place to live. Tom

Back