• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vegetative Propagation Question

PaulG

Extreme Member
About propagating by cuttings: I'm
wondering how many successive 'generations'
one can propagate, and if the cuttings grow
wierd after a certain time. I have tried successive
generational cuttings with other plants, and they
got strange and unproductive after awhile. I'm
thinking that since peppers are perrenial, there
should be little problem with this.

What say ye?

I would have to say it should not be a problem. Just my my opinion. Never dabbled in cuttings myself. Looks like work ;)

From now on until Gabriel toots his horn with no problem. Same genetic material so by definition, no change from generation to generation. It is technically the same plant that you started with.

Big Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

"The navel oranges continue to be propagated through cutting and grafting. This does not allow for the usual selective breeding methodologies, and so all navel oranges can be considered fruits from that single nearly two-hundred-year-old tree: they have exactly the same genetic make-up as the original tree and are, therefore, clones." -wikipedia

Of coarse we are not talking about grafting chili plants...

According to some, the plants will begin to dwarf over time.

I can say with certainty that this is not the case. I understand that this is claimed by some but the plant from a cutting is genetically identical to the (in fact is the same) plant that the cutting was taken from. Only if the donor plant was a dwarf would the cutting be a dwarf.

Big Mike
Visit us Online: www.knot2worry.us

I don't have any experience one way or the other, but just because it has the same genetics doesn't mean it will express the same.

Just like you can get a bushier plant by cutting off the top, it wouldn't be totally unexpected if the plant reacted in some non-normal way to a few 'generations' of being regrown from a tiny offshoot of a tiny offshoot.

Back