vendor Vendor Vault Forum - Feedback & 4 suggestions for folks

As someone completely uninvolved in any hullabaloo here at THP regarding vendors, please take this topic as constructive criticism/advice to possibly make feedback here more productive.

These are my opinions only and represent only myself and how I prefer to do business as both a consumer and as a vendor:

1. If you aren't the vendor, and you aren't the customer, consider limiting yourself to 1 brief response on a given subject.
You know, like "I did [trade/giveaway/business] with [so-and-so vendor] and the experience was [positive/negative]." or "I've known [XYZ vendor] 10 years and they're good people, I vouch for them."
Really, just something short and sweet that adds value to the discussion for the community's benefit. That's my understanding of why this forum exists - this isn't eBay, so there's no vendor ratings system, and this is what we've got. I find it odd and off-putting when a member who’s not involved in an issue posts 25+ times in staunch defense of a vendor when the vendor hasn’t even posted once to address the accusations levied against them. It makes me wonder if those members are shills for that vendor (e.g getting sent free goods or $ for the service of defending them), because I sure wouldn’t voluntarily get that involved with someone else’s beef, and I say that as someone who has genuine affection for some of the vendors around here!

2. Don't criticize people when they post a legitimate complaint.
No one person can ruin a vendor's reputation. Really. And even if 5 people agree with that one person, it's still not gonna do it. Hell, 20 people can't ruin a reputation. That is a total misconception.

A reputation is not based on the complaints against the vendor: the reputation is built on how that vendor handles it from there. I would never, ever judge a company from a problem. I judge them on how they solve problems. Being critical of someone's complaint comes off as bullying, and avoiding that would keep these topics much cleaner (see #1) and make the feedback forum useful to all.

If the topics are kept clean and we, the readers, can see 1 complaint and 20 positives, or 1 positive and 20 complaints, then we will be able to get a qualified impression of that vendor without the distraction of a 4-page argument/debate/bullying session to distract from it. That, to me, seems like the intent of this forum, and from my experience it’s how this can be a productive place for feedback.

3. Communication is key & the customer is always right.
It's an age old addage for a reason. If you have a dissatisfied customer, whether they're right or wrong, they are a dissatisfied customer and as a vendor you are obligated to make it right. If it's as easy as answering an email or providing an alternate means to be contacted and setting an expectation (e.g. I will contact you within 3 business days), then this should be simple. Being proactive is even better.

There's really not a lot else to say on this one - if you're running an auction, sale, contest or give-away, clear out your inbox because you KNOW the winner/customer is going to want to contact you. There's simply no excuse there, especially when you're on the forums blasting away with multiple promotions and sales while the member is trying to contact you. I get the “don't send 10 mails in an hour if you're the customer” thing – I’m not talking about that. But if you’re running a promotion at 8:00 PM PST, then by 8:05 PM PST you should be reaching out to the winner/buyer to close the deal. If you can’t do this, don’t run the promotion for that time. Free / paid is 100% irrelevant to this. I don’t understand why people get hung up on that aspect. It’s business. It’s communication – people’s reputations in business are build or broken on this simple concept and have been for hundreds of years.

4. Promotional giveaways are great fun - but they need to be validated as “on the level”.
How do you run a promotion or contest on the level? There are many ways of achieving this - I opted to go with fantasy football draft software to randomly pick names and send simultaneous email results to all of the contest participants. No way to fake that.

I'm not saying any specific vendor's promotions aren't on the level here, but I am saying people need to think about whether they're of a nature that people will suspect as being "not on the level" (and THP rules might help here...just spitballing).

The “pick a number between 1 and 1000" contests are going to raise red flags with most people as there is no way of knowing how the end result is achieved.

Unless the vendor sends another neutral member or moderator a time-stamped private message with the correct number prior to running their contest, my assumption is that the vendor hand-picks the person they want to win and says "yup - that was the number". Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is the most likely to be correct, and in this case that explanation is too often that "pick-a-number" contests are sketchy. A video drawing of a name or number is equally sketchy, because the vendor can simply keep taking short videos until they pick the name/number that they want or stage it with the desired winner’s paper slip on top - and then that's the video they post.

A legitimate give-away or contest means that it is validated and conducted with integrity – and can be proven as such. After all, you're promoting a business. Any impression, positive or negative, could be achieved by this promotion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am offering these suggestions as a member of THP, as a vendor on THP and as a customer on THP who has now conducted dozens of purchases and trades with THP vendors and who has run successful promotions that were fun and positive who wants to see this board used as productively as possible. Fortunately I have yet to have any reason to post a negative review of any vendor, nor have I had cause to have to defend myself from complaints. But rest assured, if something came up it would not result in 4 pages of nonsense. It would be me posting "I'll take care of it" to the customer and then privately doing whatever it took to achieve customer satisfaction, regardless of whether I believed the customer to be right or not. That the customer's perception was that they were wronged is enough - I am at that point wrong and will endeavor to make it right.

I strongly believe that this vendor feedback forum is a valuable check and balance to this community – we vendors don’t have “reputation points” like eBay does. So this forum is what we have. I love seeing positive feedback about vendors, and I hate seeing negative feedback about others - especially when the vendors seem to work hard to make mountains out of molehills.

Feedback benefits everyone at THP. Some vendors go the extra mile – include powders or other goodies with a pepper or sauce order. Some ship promptly and communicate often to ensure service. And good vendors should be rewarded with positive feedback when that happens. Equally, bad vendors should to be exposed for their shortcomings so that others in the THP community can have a better qualified opinion on whether they wish to conduct business or even enter a “promotion” after reviewing that feedback – and maybe those vendors will learn from it and improve their practices, if they are open to improvement.

Respectfully,

Scott
LDHS

Ps - mods, I felt this was about vendor feedback and relevant to this board. If not, please do feel free to move wherever necessary. :cheers:

Regarding item number four.....without an outside auditor, no drawing of name or number draw can ever be validated.

Fact....

No, it is not a fact. I used draft software run by a 3rd party that sends out a time-stamped email to all people listed simultaneously.

100% verifiable.

Fact.

There are other "randomizers" that do the same for greater numbers.

And if you'd read what I said you'd see that I suggested providing a "winning answer" to a moderator.

I think that's good enough - no moderator or admin here is going to collude with a vendor so while it wouldn't hold up in court, its good enough.

Short of that it's BS and vendors will develop a reputation for running janky unverifiable and likely hand-picked contests.

Again, my feedback is intended only as positive suggestions for improving the community.

If you're here to be negative or defend any vendor or customer, this isnt the topic for it, thanks.

Very nicely put, Scott. The vendor vault, and the nonsense involved, is what has kept me from seeking any business on this forum until recently. I finally feel like I know what is expected from me as a vendor in this community and what to expect from this community as customers. I think anyone who wants to be a vendor here needs to put in a little time and get to know people before trying sell anything. The members of the THP know what they want and are not going to put up with any nonsense.

I have to say, I agree with LDHS 100%. The vendor vault is getting a bit out of hand, and I will be the first to admit that in some way I have probably contributed to it getting that way, and for that I sincerely apologize.

Even this thread, which is very hard to argue with and was about as politically correct as possible still drew instant negative feedback, that says a lot about the people here and how hard they are to please.

Actually another way to do the 1 to 1000 or similar contests is to upload a pic of the number and contest it is being used for to a photo sharing site and then after the contest ends post a link to it (since they are time stamped when uploaded everyone could see that it was uploaded before the contest started) - of course that does not stop a vendor from E-mailing the correct answer to someone but does at least provide some assurance)

The vendor vault is getting a bit out of hand

I have a new system coming out where there won't be multiple topics on the same vendor but one official one, where members can rate with stars and comments, which can still get out of hand but should be a little better.

A bit overwhelmed with THP projects.

Very nicely put, Scott. The vendor vault, and the nonsense involved, is what has kept me from seeking any business on this forum until recently. I finally feel like I know what is expected from me as a vendor in this community and what to expect from this community as customers. I think anyone who wants to be a vendor here needs to put in a little time and get to know people before trying sell anything. The members of the THP know what they want and are not going to put up with any nonsense.

I have to say, I agree with LDHS 100%. The vendor vault is getting a bit out of hand, and I will be the first to admit that in some way I have probably contributed to it getting that way, and for that I sincerely apologize.

Even this thread, which is very hard to argue with and was about as politically correct as possible still drew instant negative feedback, that says a lot about the people here and how hard they are to please.

Having come from an auditing background and understanding what it takes to truly certify a drawing, I was just interjecting life experience. Being that this is a very cliquish, clannish group, and introducing any noncomformatory idea seems taboo here.

I have in the past, and will in the future support new vendors when they come to this board. The cold shoulder and over scrutiny of some members here is almost discriminatory.

Case in point, my first post has already been considered contentcious and labeled so. Not in the clique, dissmis all they say. That too says a lot for the community we are fostering.

You guys carry on, belittling everyone does not make YOU any bigger.

Just my 2c, to help clear the air.

LDHS is mostly right, and he is a good smart business person, he knows what he's talking about.
The main problems in the trading sections are people selling pods. There's not many smart business person selling pods here, because there's no money in small orders, dealing with product spoilage etc.
So most people selling pods here aren't business people, so you may get problems. They are hobbyists normally, not businesses. Normally rural type people as they would need lots of room to grow enough to have enough pods to sell, but not large enough to have a contract to sell in bulk. So they aren't business people because there's no real money in it if you know what I'm saying.

Two main things happened, one, what we see in one vendors thread was a carry over of trolling in a sale thread (that troll was banned), and discussion and debate moved into the vendor verdict thread because discussion in not allowed in the sales threads. So it didn't come up out of nowhere, but from previous arguments boiling over. And those arguments were started by trollers and then others jumping on the band wagon which continued the debate. And all this was before even any sales were successful or unsuccessful.
So many people on the hate wagon before anything wrong had been done, and the only reason I said anything was the trolling going on, which I thought unfair. But I don't think they should sell here anymore myself after the last sale, as they have done something wrong because the constant attacks probably got to them and turned them off.

LDHS you probably are too smart to ever sell fresh pods, so you probably don't realise that some people are drawn here just because they watch videos on youtube of people heating super hot chillies and they want that. I'm sure you've seen the comments and trolling the average youtube viewer makes in the comment sections with any video, not the nicest bunch of people.
So some of them want chillies come from there, and want pods, find this place and guess who's selling the pods? Not smart business people like yourself, but hobbyist growers who aren't business people. Like I said, normally rural folk they may not want to be harassed, and may not be fast with service, or may not be the best typers in the world. And if people aren't willing to go easy on them, then they won't last on this forum at all, so don't bother trying is my suggestion. Sell elsewhere like your local market.

So in short, I don't recommend people anyone selling fresh pods here anyway, it would be too much hassle and you'd probably get the worst customers, or be accused of something dodgey or harassed even before you made a sale

Just my 2c, to help clear the air.

LDHS is mostly right, and he is a good smart business person, he knows what he's talking about.
The main problems in the trading sections are people selling pods. There's not many smart business person selling pods here, because there's no money in small orders, dealing with product spoilage etc.
So most people selling pods here aren't business people, so you may get problems. They are hobbyists normally, not businesses. Normally rural type people as they would need lots of room to grow enough to have enough pods to sell, but not large enough to have a contract to sell in bulk. So they aren't business people because there's no real money in it if you know what I'm saying.

Two main things happened, one, what we see in one vendors thread was a carry over of trolling in a sale thread (that troll was banned), and discussion and debate moved into the vendor verdict thread because discussion in not allowed in the sales threads. So it didn't come up out of nowhere, but from previous arguments boiling over. And those arguments were started by trollers and then others jumping on the band wagon which continued the debate. And all this was before even any sales were successful or unsuccessful.
So many people on the hate wagon before anything wrong had been done, and the only reason I said anything was the trolling going on, which I thought unfair. But I don't think they should sell here anymore myself after the last sale, as they have done something wrong because the constant attacks probably got to them and turned them off.

LDHS you probably are too smart to ever sell fresh pods, so you probably don't realise that some people are drawn here just because they watch videos on youtube of people heating super hot chillies and they want that. I'm sure you've seen the comments and trolling the average youtube viewer makes in the comment sections with any video, not the nicest bunch of people.
So some of them want chillies come from there, and want pods, find this place and guess who's selling the pods? Not smart business people like yourself, but hobbyist growers who aren't business people. Like I said, normally rural folk they may not want to be harassed, and may not be fast with service, or may not be the best typers in the world. And if people aren't willing to go easy on them, then they won't last on this forum at all, so don't bother trying is my suggestion. Sell elsewhere like your local market.

So in short, I don't recommend people anyone selling fresh pods here anyway, it would be too much hassle and you'd probably get the worst customers, or be accused of something dodgey or harassed even before you made a sale

that's a whole lot of generalizations...

Having come from an auditing background and understanding what it takes to truly certify a drawing, I was just interjecting life experience. Being that this is a very cliquish, clannish group, and introducing any noncomformatory idea seems taboo here.

I have in the past, and will in the future support new vendors when they come to this board. The cold shoulder and over scrutiny of some members here is almost discriminatory.

Case in point, my first post has already been considered contentcious and labeled so. Not in the clique, dissmis all they say. That too says a lot for the community we are fostering.

Armac, I should have made it clear that I do not have a problem with people interjecting their opposing opinion. Negative was probably not the proper description of your comment. Since there is money involved people should have a healthy amount of suspicion towards the vendors. If this place was all sunshine, rainbows and puppy dogs it would be a boring place to hang out. People are going to discriminate, it is human nature and in effect it is what the vendor vault is all about. People need to be able to discriminate between vendors so that they can make an educated decision on where to spend their money.

Just because you are not a "businessman" full time does not mean you cannot conduct business in a professional way. I have witnessed plenty of members here, who are hobbyists, that could teach 99% of the businessmen in this world a thing or two.

And, no, there isn't any real money in selling fresh pods but I still get about a dozen emails a year from people accusing me of getting rich off of selling them. Then there are the 2 or 3 emails a year from people who say "I am going to put you out of business by selling fresh pods for $3 a pound."

After 3 seasons of selling fresh pods online I haven't found it to be too much of a hassle. For every customer that gets upset about one trivial thing or another, there are 2 customers that have a legitimate complaint, and 3 customers that are perfectly happy.

No offense was intended, but I guess since you two happen to plan on doing it, you didn't like my opinion. That's fine, this is just a general suggestion and discussion thread and my opinion means nothing. There's just so much more that can go wrong, you're better of selling powders or sauces.
I wish you both good luck and sincerely hope you are successful.

I was not offended. You are welcome to your opinion and I respect it. In fact I think you are right, it is much less hassle dealing with dried peppers and powders, which is why I sell them too. I just like fresh pods more, personally, so I figure there are others out there that would rather have them.

By the way, I really hate internet communication and the fact that you cannot always properly communicate the tone of your statements. I am really very laid back and very hard to offend. I also do not get mad very easily but for some reason I think some of my posts come off that way.

Frankly this whole post comes off as trolling. There is zero benefit to posting it. You accuse members of "being in a clique" repeatedly - seriously? And you defend yourself when this topic is not about you. It would be amusing if it didn't seem insane.

My topic was intended to help THP, both members and vendors, with some high-level perspective so that 1. trades/sales/promotions are improved and 2. Vendor feedback is constructive and beneficial by keeping it concise.

Clearly you're uninterested in benefitting this community and only wish to make this about yourself.

Your negativity shines through and did in your very 1st post with your snarky "fact" (despite your being 100% wrong). So then you got called out for being wrong and rather than acquiesce you dig deeper and start baiting people with nonsensical insults (we're all a big clique) and trying to make it about yourself.

Please stop posting in here. Your trolling is neither needed nor appreciated. It's certainly not constructive in any way. This topic isn't about you.

Maybe come back when you want to be part of the solution.

that's a whole lot of generalizations...

Yeah - he lumped me in with "smart businessmen" :rofl:

I couldn't disagree with ya more Pablo. I've bough fresh pods here once and traded for them twice. Zero issues.

I'm not sure why you'd make so many references to those specific topics, because this topic isn't about specifics. But the same logic applies:
Post once, an get out. "this vendor is great" or "this vendor isn't so great" - that's all. Keep it short and sweet. Why get into the muck if there are trolls? Use the report button and move on with your life. Meanwhile your concise feedback will benefit the community.

Let the vendors speak for themselves - and they will either stand or fall on their business acumen. And then the rest of the community will see the exchange and form our own opinion about them based on how they handled their business when they got a complaint.

But when you or anyone chooses to dive into the muck and start getting into it, the community is going to also judge you for it. I get it - in your eyes you're trying to help - you're picking up that sword of justice and hacking away in defense of the vendor - in everyone else's eyes you're some random 3rd party who jumped into the middle of someone else's business and picked a side. And if you're wrong people will think poorly of you. Heck, just for getting embroiled in someone else's business people will think poorly of you.

I'm generalizing too, and of course I can only speak for myself. But these are reasonable conclusions based on "normal" behavior. Getting into someone else's fight isn't really normal.

Food for thought

Getting into someone else's fight isn't really normal.
On a lighter note, umm, Australia? We get suckered into everyones wars to fight other peoples fights, and hardly ever let someone get bashed, one in, all in, so I guess you don't meet many aussies. If you understand that, you may understand what I say and do better.

Seriously though, fair enough, I normally say what I think because I don't have a business or rep to care about here, nothing to lose. But point taken well and truly.
I debated posting anything, but in the end posted because partially to clear the air because you seem to think differently, like you are suspicious of anyone who would say something that doesn't involve them. One day I'll retire and shut up I guess ;) . I just hated the trolling, and ever since joining US based forums I've become quite fond of you yanks even if some are a bit strange, like 'posting to report to the FBI' strange, when they are getting harassed for no reason LOL
:D

I'll get my coat, as they say around here...

edit: I was just going to respond with 'OK', glad I didn't now, as that would have been strange :D

On a lighter note, umm, Australia? We get suckered into everyones wars to fight other peoples fights, and hardly ever let someone get bashed, one in, all in, so I guess you don't meet many aussies. If you understand that, you may understand what I say and do better.

:rofl: good point, if not really applicable.

Seriously though, fair enough, I normally say what I think because I don't have a business or rep to care about here, nothing to lose. But point taken well and truly.

And that's ok - provided you do it once an are concise.

What good does battling a troll do?

I'll tell you the affect it has on me when I see that - I have a harder time distinguishing between the troll & those he suckered into a fight.

Consider this about trolls: You're trying to win the argument - the troll's victory is achieved by having created one.

As for vendors and people's inherent sense of mistrust, remember - a lot of these folks have been buying & selling on the Internet for years - and have excellent reason to be skeptical & suspicious. I once purchased a 12-string guitar in "mint" condition - it arrived with the neck split from the bridge to the pegs. Vendor claimed it happened in shipping (in a hard case that was undamaged) & tried to blame UPS. Took me 6 mo's to get my money back.

And any seasoned vendor knows about buyers mistrust & skepticism on the Internet. Thus my suggestion about communication. The best way to settle the healthy paranoia that Internet buyers have is to communicate with them. "I got the PayPal, thanks!" - takes 5 seconds, potentially saves an hour of dissatisfied customer if they never heard from you. Or "thanks for the order - shipping out Fri, expect it by Weds".

I tend to look at it like pizza delivery - if you order a pizza & they say "see you in 45 mins!" but they take an hour, you're ticked off but if they say "we're busy - it'll be an hour & 20 mins" but they get there in an hour you're stoked & give a big tip.

What changed? Not the time - only the expectation. And fair or otherwise, people expect good service from vendors regardless of size. :cheers:

Back