• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Very bad organization by by whoever runs the 2nd Annual NYC Hot Sauce Expo!

I show up at the doors at around 1:30 expecting to purchase a ticket but am promptly shown the door by the ticket taker.   He tells me that the venue is “at capacity” and he is not allowed to sell me a ticket.  He tells me that I need to leave right away.  He does give me the option of standing outside (in the pouring rain!) and waiting until a certain number of people leave.  Then, he would be able to sell me a ticket.  This represents very poor planning by whoever organized the event as they did not adequately prepare for the crowd.  Last year’s open-air venue at the Brooklyn Flea Market worked out just fine. 

Then, as I am walking out, I see that the ticket taker is allowing people in who have already purchased tickets.  If the Penn Plaza Pavilion were really “at capacity,” then why would he allow these people in?  Then, it got a little weirder:  I saw a different group of people with tickets also get shown the door.  The ticket taker explained to them that it was “policy” not to let anybody back in, if they had left.  The people argued that they only left because it was unbearably hot inside the venue (Again bad planning by the organizers) and pleaded their case to get back in.  The argument did not sway the gatekeeper and the people who paid their good money to attend the Expo were sent out into the pouring rain!

I love hot sauce.  I was really looking forward to the expo and was really looking forward to seeing some friends and acquaintances, but am not going to wait outside in the pouring rain for an indeterminate length of time to see them.

To all of the vendors not getting my money today:  Blame the organizers.  It is their fault.

I don’t appreciate being turned away, especially on a day like today when the weather makes travel difficult and unpleasant.  The NYC Hot Sauce Expo has lost my business forever.  I will not attempt to attend another Expo.

Wow man, sorry to hear the story. That is very bad for the vendors inside that traveled from all over to meet their customers and hopefully make new ones along the way. I guess it may have been a blessing I could not make the drive up. 

FYI full capacity takes into consideration the pre-sold tickets, if they didn't, people who bought a ticket online would be denied at the door. That's why if they had tickets they got in. Buying at the door is always a risk at any event.

And it is raining today so good call on the change to indoors, even though open-air is way cooler.

Being year 2, and year 1 indoors, I'm sure they will learn and improve. I hope overall it is a success and people have positive experiences. Too bad you had a bad one.

I was at the Hot Sauce festival in (Ohio) North Market in February, a ticket was not required for entry at all.  The venue was fun but the room was way undersized for the event but I guess you gotta start somewhere.  I am hoping next year it moves to a bigger venue, I wouldnt mind paying a ticket price to avaid a small cramped space like that.  

Sorry about your misfortune with that venue, sounds really dissapointing. 

The Hot Pepper said:
FYI full capacity takes into consideration the pre-sold tickets, if they didn't, people who bought a ticket online would be denied at the door. That's why if they had tickets they got in. Buying at the door is always a risk at any event.

And it is raining today so good call on the change to indoors, even though open-air is way cooler.

Being year 2, and year 1 indoors, I'm sure they will learn and improve. I hope overall it is a success and people have positive experiences. Too bad you had a bad one.
You must admit though that it very rude and unusual not to let ticket-holders back in, if they had stepped foot outside the venue.

Many events I've been to have no re-entry. It is usually pretty clear that there is no re-entry.

dragon49 said:
You must admit though that it very rude and unusual not to let ticket-holders back in, if they had stepped foot outside the venue.

You mean like they do at LSU football games?

Re-entry rules should be clearly stated by show producers at time of ticket purchase and again at show entry points by ticket takers.

Dragon- I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Growing pains. I'm sure it'll be better if you give it another try. I will say I sure hope they can somehow make the beer line shorter- That was my only complaint. If thats my only complaint, life is good man!

The Hot Pepper said:

Back