• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Very serious question

i don't think it is constant, i mean take habs for example you can get two pods of around the same size from the same plant and they'll vary in heat and it will also depend on the environment that they are grown in.
You could grow from the same seed source as me and we get different results

So you're wanting the actual weight/volume of capsaicin as opposed to the SHU in chile peppers? Any particular reason you're wanting this info?

Scott Roberts said:
Any particular reason you're wanting this info?

I believe medium roast is looking to see if there's profit in gathering extract. In another thread, roast described a chemical experiment performed that yielded potentially pure oils from the pepper.

Scott Roberts said:
So you're wanting the actual weight/volume of capsaicin as opposed to the SHU in chile peppers? Any particular reason you're wanting this info?

I am a chemist and am just very curious, coupled with the thread someone mentioned about putting just a grain of pure capsaicin in a bowl of noodles and it was so hot there was a hospital visit.

ipreferamediumroast said:
I am a chemist and am just very curious, coupled with the thread someone mentioned about putting just a grain of pure capsaicin in a bowl of noodles and it was so hot there was a hospital visit.

There is a lot of overstatement and machismo among chile growers.......

the variability of capasicin content within peppers in limitless...it's not just the variability of the capsaicin, but if you will do a little reading, it is the different capsaicinoids that impact the different taste buds in different ways...

check out Capsaicin, Hydrocapsaicin, Dihydrocapsaicin, Nordihydrocapsaicin, etc...each capsaicinoid impacts the palate in a different manner...

that's why I got into growing my own chiles...to get the complete burn from a combination of the different capsaicinoids....

QuadShotz said:
I've always been a scientifically curious sort as well.

Would this be useful?

Capsaicin content of West Indies hot pepper cultivars using colorimetric and chromatographic techniques.
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15595379

Most all of the 'good' articles you have to be a member of something it seems.

Wow! Thanks: 400 mg per 100 gm in the hotter ones. That is 1/2 a percent. I am curious why it costs so much for the pure stuff.

Sounds about right.

If you see the interior pics of the crazy peppers like T.Scorpion and 7-pod they're just glistening with the evil stuff. Actual droplets of the yellowish pain-goo. :)

There's much better pix around here, but here's one of mine with a "Burkina Habenaro".

S6301369.jpg

full thread: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7047

I ate like 1/2 of one of those for YT and about killed my damn self...
panic.gif

QuadShotz said:
Sounds about right.

If you see the interior pics of the crazy peppers like T.Scorpion and 7-pod they're just glistening with the evil stuff. Actual droplets of the yellowish pain-goo. :)

There's much better pix around here, but here's one of mine with a "Burkina Habenaro".

S6301369.jpg

full thread: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=7047

I ate like 1/2 of one of those for YT and about killed my damn self...
panic.gif
A very nice pic there QS.
Here's one of my favorites (a personal cross of commercial Caribbean Reds selectively bred for heat and flavor):
3861381429_22d782616e.jpg

Yes, it was as hot as it looks.

Damn, that's a massively thick ebil-pepper-thing!

Nice.

Someone posted a pic recently that's unreal..hmm, where was it...

pure evil I say, pure evil...

Back