• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Very Under Whelmed

So I had dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings the other night.  I hadn't been there for at least 3 years.  I noticed they had a whole wing eating challenge that had their hottest sauce involved.  I didn't do the challenge but I ordered some wings with this 'Blazin' sauce on them.  After trying them and through finishing them I was pretty disappointed in the heat level.  I guess I was expecting a whole 'Man vs. Food' experience where I am sweating and begging for milk.  Needless to say, it wasn't near as hot as I imagined.  Is this yet another example of 'commercial hot' that is only "Blazin" for the average joe? 

Just as a comparison, I really like Famous Dave's 'Wilbur's Revenge' BBQ sauce and that is definitely hotter and has a much more complex flavor.  I thought BWW would at least compare to that.  For those that have a palate for actual hot sauce, the BWW challenge would be an easy way for you to get your 15 minutes of fame, and your picture added to the restaurant's digital picture frame (TV) that rotates through photos of the passers of this 'challenge'.

That sauce also tastes like chemicals, not even tasty. I make wings hotter than the blazing all the time and they taste wonderful. That place has gone down hill from where it was 15 years ago. 

There are a couple of their sauces that I like... mango hab, and jerk are two that I usually get when I go there.  Which isn't all that often... there are much better wing places in town, but some of my friends are big fans of bww.

westin said:
There are a couple of their sauces that I like... mango hab, and jerk are two that I usually get when I go there.  Which isn't all that often... there are much better wing places in town, but some of my friends are big fans of bww.

I agree with you on the Mango Hab sauce they have.  It has pretty decent flavor.  That is about the max heat my wife can handle at the moment.  Probably my favorite hot sauce is Cajohns Scorch sauce and I wouldnt dare let my wife try that.  VERY hot but has incredible flavor.

Scoville DeVille said:
Ha! I love the title.

Extract sauces suck.

Commercial restaurants that use them in their "challenges" also suck. :rofl:

It's all just too gimmicky for me.

I started laughing when I read through this.  But I couldn't agree with you more.  My parents recently bought me an extract sauce because they know I love HOT food.  I have to give it to them that they didn't know any better.  Their intentions were good.  I tried this stuff and its hot, but basically has zero flavor.  I assume it's intended to add to items that you are cooking that already have flavor, just to add some heat.  But I am not really sure I even want to do that with it.

Kudos to your folks! Their hearts were in the right place.
I remember when Dave's Insanity came out. The first extract sauce commercially available.
Everyone went crazy for it because it was also the first thing hotter than Tabasco.
Now I won't touch the stuff. So many great sauce makers out there killing it with flavor-heat combos.
It is still tricky to find what you're looking for, even with experience of knowing WHAT you're looking for. lol

Any Hot sauce shop in the U.S. I would bet 2/3 of the sauces they sell are just novelty sauces with catchy names like,
"Asster Burner", "Fiery Devil's Snot" and the like, that have no flavor and are extract only sauces.
But there are too many great sauces out there to ruin your food with that stuff.

just my 2¢ hahahahaha

Scoville DeVille said:
Ha! I love the title.

Extract sauces suck.

Commercial restaurants that use them in their "challenges" also suck. :rofl:

It's all just too gimmicky for me.

Another one is Quaker Steak and Lube. They make you sign a waiver for their hottest sauces. I bought a bottle of their Atomic  to see what all the fuss was about. The Ghost sauces and TS sauces on the market were hotter and actually tasted like peppers. The QSL sauce - stated on the ingredients was basically a rebranded Tabasco sauce pumped up with extract. And it tasted like shit to boot. 

2 1/2 years ago several Washington THP Chileheads got together and did the WingDome challenge in Seattle.  2 out of 5 finished- chileaddict and lazinfat.  Salsakid was smart and bailed after about 1 1/2 piece.  RS67man and I hung in there for 5-6.......and about 20 minutes later....I hurled in the alley out back.

Here's some posts, pics and video of out mis-adventure, along with some thoughts about the sauce. 
Click forward to page 6 for the actual event posts.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/18867-attn-washington-wingdome-challenge/?hl=wingdome

About a year after we did our thing, Heatseekers tv show did a spot at the Wingdome.  They showed making the sauce with some hot sauce like Franks/Tabasco and a buttload of habanero chiles.  All of us that were there called BS on that!  We'd all tasted enough sauces to know the taste of extract, and that schtuff definitely had extract in it!!!

Awwwww...I just looked through the WingDome post with pics of my lil guy.....  "sniffsniff"...OK, Sentimental Mom moment over---

I'd forgotten how much sauce there was on them things!  And it was chunky, with big bits of chile (I'm assuming habanero based on the Heatseekers episode).....but, Man, it was fun to hang with the NW Pack for an afternoon.

OH, and after the challenge, the waitress was asking "who needs milk, ice cream"..the Kid got a 1/2 pint carton of milk and it was like $3.00!!!!

Took my youngest son there last night after reading this. Form said "Must eat with mouth". I quit snorting wings years ago, but tend to do some finger ripping while eating them, so they made them for the challenge and then when I said I couldn't sign it I still got them.....without a timer. Jr. attempted it. They were not spicy hot, but they were definitely not out of the fryer more then 3 minutes before we got them. That was what stopped him. They didn't have a bad flavor to me and after the first one I sprinkled my yellow scorpion powder all over them and got a sweat going.

Great post and link salsalady.  All this talk really makes me want to find a good wing eating challenge.  I am going to Wisconsin Dells with the family this weekend, wonder if they have something near there.  I will have to investigate. 

Justaguy, good call on bringing some extra kick with you.  One would think that even a commercial restaurant would step up to the plate for a wing challenge with a little more punch than what BWW's hottest sauce delivers. 

Justaguy said:
Form said "Must eat with mouth". I quit snorting wings years ago, 
:rofl:

JAG, that made me almost snort coffee out my nose!   lmao~

Jeff H said:

Another one is Quaker Steak and Lube. They make you sign a waiver for their hottest sauces. I bought a bottle of their Atomic  to see what all the fuss was about. The Ghost sauces and TS sauces on the market were hotter and actually tasted like peppers. The QSL sauce - stated on the ingredients was basically a rebranded Tabasco sauce pumped up with extract. And it tasted like shit to boot. 

Thats unfortunate, I was just asking around at work and someone mentioned that very restaurant in WI as a possibility.  I will check that off my list.  I am probably more likely to run in to a "See how long an out-of-stater can tolerate a diehard Packer fan" contest while I am there.  I wouldn't even attempt that one.

Go Vikings!

Wusthof said:
I am probably more likely to run in to a "See how long an out-of-stater can tolerate a diehard Packer fan" contest while I am there.  I wouldn't even attempt that one.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Justaguy said:
They were not spicy hot, but they were definitely not out of the fryer more then 3 minutes before we got them. That was what stopped him. They didn't have a bad flavor to me and after the first one I sprinkled my yellow scorpion powder all over them and got a sweat going.

I completed BWW's wing challenge a month or two ago.  The sauce is decent, but certainly not very hot.  The two most challenging factors are:  1) You have to eat all 12 wings in 6 minutes (maybe I'm just a slow eater?) and 2) They bring the wings out fresh from the fryer, and expect you to begin eating right away before letting them cool.  I guess they figure that the temperature of the wings will make the sauce seem hotter.  Really it just scorches your mouth so you can't taste anything.

The prize for completing the challenge was a sticker.  I guess they sometimes give out T-Shirts, but they were out of them that day.  Definitely not worth it in my opinion.  Whenever I go in there now, I usually order a few of the Blazin wings, but I skip the challenge so I can actually enjoy my food.

I completed the bwws challenge several years ago. I gotta agree with you Coot. Its tough for me to eat 12 wings in 6 minutes no matter what heat level. You guys heat toletance is insane. I thought it was very hot. I think the flavor of the blazing sauce is terrible though. I prefer mango habanero, asian zing and hot bbq.
Has anyone here tried East Coast Wings in Winston Salem NC. Theyve got the most flavors that ive seen at 75. I tried theyre hottest flavor inferno. It was hotter than bww's blazing. Like the blazing at bwws i thought the infernos flavor was terrible also.

Being from WI I can tell you right now there are no good "hot" wing places that I've found here. A couple good ones down in Chicago. We have BWW and QSL as our major distributors.

You arent kidding Dia. There was nothing nearby us in the Dells. QSL was a 45 minute drive. I considered it to get my hot fix but couldnt muster the motivation. And I didnt want BWW again. Heard about restaurant here in the Twin Cities that has a ghost wing challenge that was featured on Man vs. Food. :D

Back