• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

very very hot tabascos

yaaaaaaaaayyy!!! my tabasco finally came through, and boy is it coming through, i already have at least 75 peppers on my now 5.5 ft tall plant, with at least 150+ more flowers!

question though: i went ahead and ate one still light green, but wanted to taste it....it's easily hotter than my thai hot, and its not even ripe yet! i am very happy about this, but i thought tabascos peaked around 50-80K SHU? judging by comparison to some orange habs, i'm thinking this tabasco is at LEAST 120K SHU. Does this sound weird at all?

also thinking thai hot and tabasco are both frutescens, and those two plants are like right up next to each other, maybe they cross pollinated. but then i really doubt it the peppers look like normal tabascos

maybe i've just been drinking too much beer *buuuuuuurrp* but seriously, i eat a lot of peppers all the time....and these are way hotter than they're supposed to be, just hoping for a scientific explanation

If the plant got stressed, the chiles will get HOT. the SHU rating though is usually the highest one they could get, *after* stressing the plant and such. no tabasco with 120,000SHU.

Tabasco pods are very hot and have a sharp first bite that make them great to eat right off the plant. They are small juicy pods and I like the flavor and heat, not like the sauce of the same name. They are not as hot as orange habs but hot enough 4 U. Pretty plants all full of erect pod in different colors. Nothing mild about a tabasco.

yeah i definetly stressed the shit outta this plant on purpose, but just surprised that they're easily twice as hot as the thai's.....anyway, ok, cool, thanks guys, just thought i was crazy, was expecting a much milder plant, but VERY happy with results, might be a new favorite pepper of mine

hotenuff4u said:
yeah i definetly stressed the shit outta this plant on purpose,

What did you do to "stress" the plant? Not water it for a while and allow it to wilt before watering? Seems like with my plants i'm the only one stressing..

hotenuff4u said:
yaaaaaaaaayyy!!! my tabasco finally came through, and boy is it coming through, i already have at least 75 peppers on my now 5.5 ft tall plant, with at least 150+ more flowers!

question though: i went ahead and ate one still light green, but wanted to taste it....it's easily hotter than my thai hot, and its not even ripe yet! i am very happy about this, but i thought tabascos peaked around 50-80K SHU? judging by comparison to some orange habs, i'm thinking this tabasco is at LEAST 120K SHU. Does this sound weird at all?

Ah..... pics?

Yep, tabascos have a kick. My girl decided to eat a few one night when I was at work and she had been drinking. Mind you that she likes tabasco sauce so she figured it wasn't hot, and she ate 4 ripe ones at one time. She called threatening to kill my plants because those were not tabascos cuz they are not supposed to be hot.

LGHT said:
What did you do to "stress" the plant? Not water it for a while and allow it to wilt before watering? Seems like with my plants i'm the only one stressing..

as a matter of fact that's exactly what i've been doing, and will continue to do until the end of the season :evil:, lol.

it's in a 4 gallon pot, to save expensive soil, and for quicker drainage i filled bottom 2 inches with old sticks and pine needles topped off with a little sand stolen from the volleyball ct in my apartment complex so the nice soil wouldn't leak through, and mixed my foxfarm with xtra perlite vermiclulite so it'd drain well. needless to say, this guys wilting bad every three days, so most of the time, when i'm waking up at 4pm, i'm assuming he's been wilted most of the day, and i give him a good ferted soaking. 1ce i thought i killed it, but sure enough 30ish min after soaking, looking perky again. i'm a LITTLE nicer to the rest of my plants, just playin around as 1st year grower

chillilover said:
Ah..... pics?

when i first started growing this year, i was obsessed with making a nice growlog, and as time progressed, i've been getting lazier and lazier with pics, i think the last pics i took of any of my plants was at least 8 weeks ago, when they were just flowering. I will definitely get on that!

I was surprised as hell when I ate my first Tabasco pepper. I expected it to be much milder based on the sauce but it has a great flavor and good heat. Whatever I don't eat off the plant I dry and make into powder. Tabasco powder kicks so much more ass than Tabasco sauce.

I have a weak ass stunted 2nd yr Tabasco that was still loaded with peppers. :)

Fresh peppers are always hotter than a purchased sauce made from said pepper. Cooking/heat kills off some of the capsaicin, as well as dilution with the addition of other ingredients (sans concentrate).

Silver_Surfer said:
Fresh peppers are always hotter than a purchased sauce made from said pepper. Cooking/heat kills off some of the capsaicin, as well as dilution with the addition of other ingredients (sans concentrate).

The fact thay it is almost all vinegar might contribute too.:lol:

One thing I've noticed with my tabascos compared to other peppers I've eaten is that they seem to release all their heat right up front. No climbing burn, just an Emeril-like BAM in your mouth.
I've nibbled a few of the unripe yellow short tabascos from my garden and they seem to be the same way(but at least they don't have that weird salty taste I got from the reds).

Back