• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Viable seeds?

My wife bought peppers and jalapeños from the grocery store the other day to make some salsa. She bought a assortment pack and it had orange habs, yellow habs, and cayenne and some scotch bonnet. I was wondering if I take the seeds out of those peppers will they be viable and actually grow if I planted them?

All the seeds from the peppers that are not green will be viable and grow. Green peppers are not fully mature and the seeds generally don't grow. Another important thing to consider is crosses. It the farmer frew diffeent types of peppers close together, they may have crossed, meaning what you grow may not be exactly the same pepper that you ate.

In any event, the growing should be fun.! Try it and post the results.

I am going to have to try it. I was letting them dry and the jalapeño seeds turned brown and the orange habs seeds still look good. I will throw out the jalapenos and grow the habs. probably soon and see if I can over winter but I will post results

Even seeds from unripe(green) pods often germinate fine, but it depends how mature the green pod is. "Mature green" is the stage where chiles are still green but they have developed most or all of their heat, and some seeds should be mature

i have also had some seeds germinate that werent quite ripe yet either. where the outside lip if the seed gets brown/black but the center stays white. i have several grocery store varieties growing this year and the first round of pods seem to be true to their name. best of luck. Atleast the jalapeno seeds are the ones that are easy to come by anyways.

What exactly does it mean when the seed it self turns brown/black but stays white in the middle like "bushwhackxj" said?

10 days ago I sowed 18 habanero seeds that I pulled out of a store bought mixture of peppers from the vegetable section. I now have 16 habanero plants growing. Thats like a 88% germination rate. So I think its safe to say that store bought peppers could also be grown in your garden.

Not bad germination rate but be aware that store bough habs are often bred to be milder, and as previously mentioned they could also be hybrids which would mean that the seeds won't grow true

Back