• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Viable seeds?

So because of a late start this year I have lots of pods that aren't quite ripe, it's supposed to get close to freezing tonight .. Last week I pulled up a couple of a Jigsaws and hung them upside down outside to give the pods time to turn color. Here's a pic of the Jigsaws along with some Bhuts and a
Reaper tell me at this stage are the seeds viable?

IMG_5043.jpg

I've never saved seeds from anything other than completely ripe. Looking for a experienced hand here ?

Possibly,
It all depends on the plant and how close it was to fully ripe.. basically its a toss up, your germ. rate might be good for one pod and bad in another.
that happened to me last year with my butch t's two plants got wind damaged at the ground level.. i still got at least 50% germ. rate on the seeds. I was able
to ripen the pods with a banana in a paper bag in a day or two. I harvested the seeds and dried the rest for a superhot powder blend with some ghost pepper powder

good luck
Steve

I took Anaheim pepper seeds that the pods where still green with just a little showing there started to ripe, and they did very well for me, I didn't even let them ripen more so I think they will be good even if not 80% germ you should get some to.

Mr. Hill said:
I took Anaheim pepper seeds that the pods where still green with just a little showing there started to ripe, and they did very well for me, I didn't even let them ripen more so I think they will be good even if not 80% germ you should get some to.

Correct. They don't necessarily have to be ripe to be mature.

Back