• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Vindaloo Powder

Just finished making this as this morning I did Vindaloo Chickpea curry.

Can substitute Ghost pepper for Yaki Blue Fawn.

As is its got a heat level of Thai Chile pepper.

Normally add Garlic/Ginger powder  but I prefer fresh, so add it at cooking time.

( fresh ground Cumin and Fennel, mustard seed normally also added (1tbsp), I normally add Brown Mustard Seed)

fMgdCKE.jpg

Looks good, needs some vinegar powder to get the full flavor effect of a vindaloo imo.

Unless it's for making vindaloo and you add vinegar! :lol:

I thought it was more like for fries, corn, other things you want vindalooed with a dry spice. Then I would add some. :)

No, sauces.
Chickpea Vindaloo letting it age till tomorrow, will have it for supper then. Had some on chicken and rice for supper tonight (did add ACV to the chicken), will post tomorrow. Dont recall adding Vinegar in the past, always added coconut cream to curries.

dragonsfire said:
Dont recall adding Vinegar in the past, always added coconut cream to curries.

Oh! The reason I always liked vindaloo was not just the heat but the tang almost like a wing sauce. That's the vinegar, and the Portuguese influence.

"The word vindaloo is a garbled pronunciation of the popular Portuguese dish carne de vinha d’alhos (meat marinated in wine-vinegar and garlic), which made its way to India in the 15th century along with Portuguese explorers. The dish was tweaked to local conditions: There was no wine-vinegar in India, so Franciscan priests fermented their own from palm wine. Local ingredients like tamarind, black pepper, cinnamon, and cardamom were also incorporated. But the most important addition—chile peppers—was a legacy of Portugal’s global empire, imported to India from the Americas."

This is a good artcle.
https://www.saveur.com/article/cooking/the-history-of-vindaloo/

Back