• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Vosges Red Fire Bar

I may consider myself a gastronome savant but even I have lines I rarely cross. This is my very first double digit price candy bar. But since I had wandered into the store I decided to make a few purchases. This was irresistible.

Picture007.jpg

ingredients: Dark chocolate, ancho and chipotle peppers, cinnamon.

The silly thing has a long list of directions on how you should enjoy the bar. I really find that kind of thing snobbish and annoying but hey, it's their bar right?

Picture008.jpg

The first thing I wanted was heat...but it's not there. That is until the piece you have eaten is gone. It's almost as if the chocolate prevents you from feeling the heat until the chocolate is gone. It's still pretty mild, maybe just warming. I have a little bit of formal wine training and it kicked in here. The chocolate is amazingly complex and has hints of spice and leather. I caught a little coffee tone on the second taste.

Picture009-1.jpg

So did I like it? not really. I appreciated it. Which is to say that it was amazingly interesting but I'm not going to ever buy another. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the one I have.

p.s. the allergy part of the label says it's made in a facility that uses pearl dust...OK now that once again peaks my curiosity and I may have to buy a pearl dusted chocolate bar.

If you would like heat in your chocolate bar. I would suggest you try our Kato's Habanero Chocolate bar which is not overly hot but still decent heat. because exactly what you pointed out the sugars in the chocolate kill some of the heat. Our bars started out milk chocolate with chipotle powder we found that all the extra milk fat & sugars killed the heat. So with a little work with a chocolatier we settled on dark chocolate & habanero powder.

We would love for you to try one of our bars for comparison.
Send me a pm

Mick
Kato's

Back