• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor VOTE For Indoor Grow!

Hey boys and girls!

I am doing an experiment - to grow four varieties of pepper plants indoors under LED lighting throughout the year. Since LEDs don't get as hot as HPS or HID bulbs, I feel like they could stand the Texas summer better than anything else. All of these will be planted outside, but I want to keep four indoors and close by for regular harvesting and use!

So, here is the list!

Write a comment where you select FOUR plants from the list, and I'll update the spreadsheet. I want to see what everyone recommends and why!

Good stuff!
I plan on doing the same, right now I think it's at least 6 plants that will be grown solely under artificial light.
It will definitely be interesting to follow your progress(in your glog?) and compare to my own.

As for which plants, I'd say:

White Fatalii
7-pot Chocolate Brain Strain
Golden Cayenne
Caribbean Red Habanero

Reasoning? I just picked plants with various scoville levels so you can see if heat level affects how well plants produce under LED.
Oh, and I'd be curious to see how the Fatalii and 7-pot would do under LED.

4 different heat ranges and varieties to keep things interesting and give you some variety.

Red ghost,
rocoto
LO thai
Either a serrano or ohe of your Baccatums

Updated! So far we have some pretty clear contenders:

Tepin x Aji Lemon Drop (5 votes)
Caribbean Red Habanero (4 votes)
Peach Bhut Jolokia (4 votes, and just sprouted too!)
Serrano (3 votes)

Just a heads up though, maybe your light will do better but I grow indoors hydro 4 plants with LEDs (3 blackstar 240s) and my pods are all runty compared to outdoors counterparts. 

D3monic said:
Just a heads up though, maybe your light will do better but I grow indoors hydro 4 plants with LEDs (3 blackstar 240s) and my pods are all runty compared to outdoors counterparts. 

It's possible. All my plants save for four lucky winners will go outside, so I'll be able to compare at the end of the growing season.

Since youll have plants outside id say ch brain strain x 4 this pepper is really great,also with 4 you wont have to worry about cross polination!!!

mpicante said:
Since youll have plants outside id say ch brain strain x 4 this pepper is really great,also with 4 you wont have to worry about cross polination!!!

I'd rather have some variety in the apartment. ;)

We've got three clear winners, and a tie between the last two!

1st Place: Tepin x Lemon Drop
2nd Place: Peach Bhut Jolokia
3rd Place: Caribbean Red Habanero

Tie between White Fatalii and MOA Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. So tell me, THP, what is the difference in these peppers and why is one superior over the other?

Since you are growing in an apartment, I would think that you might want to consider the White Fatalii as your fourth plant.  My reasoning is so that you have the most colorful grow inside.  When friends/family come over, they will see red from the Hab, peach from the Bhut, and white from the Fatalii.  I don't know the color of the T x LD...  Personally, I love the MOA's.  They are yellow so that is different, but I would vote for the White.

Best of luck with your grow.

bpiela said:
Since you are growing in an apartment, I would think that you might want to consider the White Fatalii as your fourth plant.  My reasoning is so that you have the most colorful grow inside.  When friends/family come over, they will see red from the Hab, peach from the Bhut, and white from the Fatalii.  I don't know the color of the T x LD...  Personally, I love the MOA's.  They are yellow so that is different, but I would vote for the White.

Best of luck with your grow.

They probably won't see it since they'll be growing in my closet (the only place to put bright-ass LED lights that won't blind the neighborhood), so decoration isn't too much of a concern here. I've never had a white fatalii or an MOA, so I can't say which tastes better.

If you live with a significant other, I would suggest askign them what they like to cook with the most. Having peppers indoors and easily obtainable for cooking is super nice. I have a jalapeno plant/bonsai growing in my garden window. Puts out peppers all year round and it's only three feet from the sink and stove!

No specific genetics to recommend, just a recommended source.

Back