• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! P. Dreadie's Memorial Caribbean Throwdown

Entree

• Rymerpt - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60249-begin-p-dreadies-memorial-caribbean-throwdown/pag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tinnie - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60249-begin-p-dreadies-memorial-caribbean-throwdown/page

• dragonsfire - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60249-begin-p-dreadies-memorial-caribbean-throwdown

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed seeing so many people enter this throwdown. I really have learned a lot about Caribbean cuisine, which isnt really avaliable here in Australia, from new dishes to ingredients and techniques, there is plenty ive seen here that i will be pinching to try in the future.

Very hard to vote. Frydad and Ozzy ran him really close but i ended up going for hotstuff. It was a perfectly cooked steak, but the technique and the amount of flavour he seems to have worked into that dish looks incredible.

Dessert was a little easier, while i dont have a huge sweet tooth, im a big sukka for flan. Ozzy's looked really good.

Well done to everyone

I love the arroz con pollo. It's an underrated dish and you did it justice. The name is unfortunate it makes it sound bland when in fact you coax a lot of flavors in an arrox con pollo.

Tinnie said:
 I really have learned a lot about Caribbean cuisine, which isnt really avaliable here in Australia, from new dishes to ingredients and techniques, there is plenty ive seen here that i will be pinching to try in the future.

If you Aussies can manage to do with Caribbean food what you've done with barbecue, I'll be watching for sure!  :drooling:  :dance:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
If you Aussies can manage to do with Caribbean food what you've done with barbecue, I'll be watching for sure!  :drooling:  :dance:

BBQ, pizza, burgers, Thai... it's not the cuisine, it's just that they are fuck**g awesome.

Everyone's dishes looked so good! The conch fritters, the oink and bake, the arroz con pollo, the scallops, plus that delicious looking Haitian food!

It was a tough choice for me. I was really torn between Frydad, Ozzy, and Student of Spice, because I felt like they were the most complete caribbean meals. At least what I would see, and immediately recognize as being of caribbean origin. I had to go with Ozzy on this one. I really like mojo and sofrito sauces, and I feel like he did this dish perfectly.

I went with D3monic for the dessert, because those mango glazed bunuelos look sooo tasty!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I did nearly bail on this TD. Real low funds and not knowing anything about Caribbean food made it tough.

Every body had some mouth watering food!

Truely a good TD Boss.

Vote peoples!

13239056_1048395535235842_2817627420748878412_n.jpg

I doubled down! I went Trini as I love doubles and y'all totally missed out on that plate!

Doubles have so much flavor, the fluffy bara, the curry chick peas, and sweet culantro sauce boom! Ox tails, and plantains, wow.

I had to finish with sweet doubles. I think that's a great idea, I'd love to see other takes on it, so I went with this one, for ingenuity as well as execution. A nice bookend meal.

WOW!  All I can say is...wow!

Thank you to P. Dreadie for all his inspirations in music, cooking, growing and life in general.  We are blessed to have known him.

Great cooking by all, it was tough to decide on this one.  Every dish is deserving and is a wonderful tribute to Dreadie.  Thank you for those who've voted for me.  It is humbling and unexpected.  We'll see how it turns out.   

D3monic said:
The curried chickpeas are tempting to me. I may have to try and make those one day sans the coriander in the curry. 

Doubles almost taste like a samosa with the green and tamarind sauce both on it from Indian joints... but moister... ah I said most lol.

salsalady said:
WOW!  All I can say is...wow!

Thank you to P. Dreadie for all his inspirations in music, cooking, growing and life in general.  We are blessed to have known him.

Great cooking by all, it was tough to decide on this one.  Every dish is deserving and is a wonderful tribute to Dreadie.  Thank you for those who've voted for me.  It is humbling and unexpected.  We'll see how it turns out.   

Very nicely said SL, and a great ending post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back