• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Pizza Party Throwdown

Classic/Rustic

• JayT - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51987-begin-pizza-party-throwdown/?p=1087473"]M

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
keybrdkid said:
heh.

When I made a volcano pizza, I was mostly considering the fact that I hadn't made one before, and that it would theoretically probably be placed in the Unique category-given its shape. So that's where I sent it.

I suppose since it was just sopressata, tomatoes, garlic, and motz, maybe it could fit in the classic category. maybe not.

either way, given the way the votes are going it may not matter. ;).

but getting Essegi disqualified wasn't my intention. didn't even enter my mind.

No one was or should be disqualified:
Unique - Unique doughs, proteins, shapes, etc. A pita pizza? A shrimp and grits pizza? Hella unique!

You guys both put your volcano in the right place. It's volcano shaped and is supposed to look like it is erupting with sauce. Unique. Some places even light them. 

Was it a "covered" pie, as in Deep Dish? Yes, but it was a unique volcano shape, and not exactly deep dish, nor in a pan. Unique superseded so you guys got it right!

People are going to vote how they want to vote. But no one should consider anything disqualified, if it was, it wouldn't be there. :)

Kudos on yours, I liked it a lot.

well now, THAT was a grand idea I had that just didn't pan out.  I thought I'd check out the dessert pizzas first, kind of like when I had to memorize music from the last page back to the first page.....

Oh My Goodness!  :eek:  SHEESH if that was just the dessert pies, and I haven't even got to the other categories...  

I'm so in trouble for voting!!!

I voted essegi in the classic/rustic.   I wanted to try a slice of all of them but  it was the one I would pick if I could only try one.

FB's  Meat and heat lovers was just epic, add homemade mozz and it was a no brainer

FB's Jamaican me Crazy .  I love jerk lamb, and again homemade mozz .  

JayT's dessert.  bacon jam with reaper , figs and feta.  everything I didn't know I wanted on a dessert pizza until I saw it :)   I will vote this overall if it makes it though. 

pic1's   chicago.   awesome layering , pictures were fantastic.     I will admit , I was hoping someone  would do a laminated crust in the chicago category 

So much to go through, awesome job by all!!! Have to dedicate some time tomorrow to thoroughly read each one and steal some ideas and techniques hahaha

Good morning...or...Good Evening depending where you're at       :P

Awesome throwdown with lot's of creativity.

I'm actually  looking for a response before I pull the trigger on the voting.  
This time of the year I tend to do a lot of bread making with different types of flours...depending of the bread type. I also  tend to top the ball and roll out a few pizza's.

I'll admit to occasionally mixing All Purpose (AP) flour and high protein Bread flour when looking for the combination of having both density and chew in the bread making.
But the yin yang of combining "00" with "AP" in pizza making has me puzzled. Both flours are completely different birds. "00" is generally used by Neopolitan pizza makers is high temp ovens 650 F to 1000 F+. The combination of fine milled flour, correct hydration and leavening agent, high oven temp and short duration will give the pizza the oven spring.
"00" when baked over a longer duration and a lower oven temp with produce a darker and tough crust. If any of you that used the "00" with AP in a conentional oven can explain the reasoning to that, You may swing my vote your way............just curious.

I usually only use the addition of a small amount of AP flour in winter recommended to me by a good friend who owns a pizza shop in town.according to him it helps in the cold weather and with my crappy convection oven. To be honest I don't really see any difference when I add the 1 cup of AP, then if I didn't.  I am always messing around with the addition of different flour combo's to get better bore flavorful crust. 

And for essegi- the whole packet of yeast makes enough dough for 2-4 pizzas depending on size. I make the batch of dough then cut my portions out. all my dough's were 420 grams except the deep dish which was 600grams. 

This is going to take a while to vote- so many awesome pies. and I learned something as well. I still can't believe how nice the dough was that I used a rolling pin on. My favorite out of the 5. first time using a pin, and it's something I am going to pay around with

I'll probably vote tomorrow.

I have my eye on some stuff but really need to delve into it.

Voted, it definitely wasn't easy.  I just went with what spoke to me, that was 41X2X in the rustic, FPB in the lovers, PIC1 by a country MILE in the Deep dish, (dude I know you are from Chicago, but that looks straight out of Lou's!) Ashen, in the unique, and Key in the dessert.  Those flavors just sound so good to me!  Well done by everyone!  It was a lot of fun.

Anyone else think there is something fishy about this 41X2X ???  hmmm, Boss you know this guy??? that makes what I would consider a perfect NY Pie.

A big THANKS to all who have voted for my dessert pizza so far!

Essegi, if all you've had so far is either ginger ale or ginger beer, I get what you're saying. I like ginger ale well enough, but haven't come across a ginger beer I particularly care for. But I LOVE ginger in food. If you've ever had Asian food, it likely had ginger in it (though not necessarily.) Never had ginger snap cookies? You are missing out! I've found that ginger adds a great flavor element to Mexican food, as well. OOooh - ginger sorbet paired with spicy rare tuna is da bomb. Ginger syrup is fantabulous in hot tea or hot chocolate, and also fantastic on pancakes or slathered on pork in the final stages of roasting. And ginger was made to go with chocolate, without a doubt! Gingerbread can't be passed up, especially when still warm from the oven. And, of course, it's the season for gingerbread men! Ok, and my personal weakness (though I haven't even looked for them this year): gingerbread men marshmallows! Crystallized ginger added to cornbread is a definite treat. So yeah, you could say I am about as fond of ginger as I am of hot peppers, but I'm still just "meh" about ginger ale and ginger beer. I'll drink them but they're not my top picks. Definitely make a point to try ginger in food - likely you will develop a different appreciation of it!

geeme said:
A big THANKS to all who have voted for my dessert pizza so far!

Essegi, if all you've had so far is either ginger ale or ginger beer, I get what you're saying. I like ginger ale well enough, but haven't come across a ginger beer I particularly care for. But I LOVE ginger in food. If you've ever had Asian food, it likely had ginger in it (though not necessarily.) Never had ginger snap cookies? You are missing out! I've found that ginger adds a great flavor element to Mexican food, as well. OOooh - ginger sorbet paired with spicy rare tuna is da bomb. Ginger syrup is fantabulous in hot tea or hot chocolate, and also fantastic on pancakes or slathered on pork in the final stages of roasting. And ginger was made to go with chocolate, without a doubt! Gingerbread can't be passed up, especially when still warm from the oven. And, of course, it's the season for gingerbread men! Ok, and my personal weakness (though I haven't even looked for them this year): gingerbread men marshmallows! Crystallized ginger added to cornbread is a definite treat. So yeah, you could say I am about as fond of ginger as I am of hot peppers, but I'm still just "meh" about ginger ale and ginger beer. I'll drink them but they're not my top picks. Definitely make a point to try ginger in food - likely you will develop a different appreciation of it!
Thanks fo the input i'll check that!
Ginger i mean is something much crappier than what you are saying, it's a fizzy thing like coca cola but with ginger, and it's bitter. And i hate bitter (i hate grapefruit drink, coffee and many popular drinks for that).
BibiteGas_SB_atHome_15_ginger.png

Most people here likes it and it's used as base for a wide array of appetizer drinks much appreciated, for me it's just some bad crap.
But i've no problems to believe that you usage is completely another thing.

I wouldn't turn my nose to any of those pies. Toughest vote yet. You all amaze me every month with your creativity and pure cooking skills. We really do have a group of some of the best chefs in the world on here. 

Man that was hard!!!!!!!!! Just wanted to say everyone that participated you all deserve a round of applause!!!!!!!!!!!! :) would love to be in a room surrounded by all those pies and eat myself unconscious lol
images-18.jpeg

Finally Voted!  No time to go through each one, but wanted to call out geeme with the pomegranate and chocolate.  Great creativity.  And 41x~ (who probably is a friend of The Boss who owns a pizza parlor or something...:lol:)  Love the Dragon Oil drizzle.  

Excellent work EVERYONE!

Dang it...now I'm hungry for pizza for breakfast....and there ain't no Domino's delivery in the Methow..... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back