• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Quarantine Throwdown (Special Edition)

Vote for your favorites (multiple choice)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
keybrdkid said:
The last two days here in soflo

rainGIF1.gif
We watched that excruciating golf charity match in the downpour yesterday.....feel for ya~

salsalady said:
We watched that excruciating golf charity match in the downpour yesterday.....feel for ya~

I heard that there was a match going on with Tom brady in it, but I'm actually not much of a Golf fan. I'm a terrible Floridian. Like four out of the five pillars of being a Floridian I fail at. But I was born here. lol. Maybe its because I've traveled so much in my life. 

Yea, it was some charity thing with Tom Brady and Payton Fanning. And a couple other guys. They get chops for playing through the rain! And Major Props for raising 20mil for the charities.

;)

Well, here I am...I didn't take much for pics, I actually regret a few I didn't (We did a changing of the guard for another empty bottle of W-Man's Aggravated Assault to a discordant dirge based on Darth Vader's Imperial March, classic PLUS!), but yet life perseveres...

I only do stuff like this to distract y'all while I kype TD recipes, right? So kindly view on as such...

My POL 'gredient pics from earlier

Brisket POL.jpg

Beans.jpg

My beans benefitted from additional additive add-ons, I have a bad habit of thinking of things after the fact. Like bacon.

The big boy all dressed up and ready for me to *DOH!* Clean the damn grates in the smoker. Why did I overwinter dirty, greazy, moldy grates?

rub on.jpg

So I'm not Iron Mike, ok? Everyone got that? I don't do all nighters, haven't in years...But I can still get up pretty early, and did so Sunday morning, after tossing and turning and worrying about getting up early enough ALL NIGHT...But enough about me--Brisket actually wound up in the chamber at "around" 6 am. Please don't ask me to explain "around", it has to do with grate cleaning and coffee grinding and stressing on the process (FIRST packer cook, y'all)...

I did learn a valuable bit to add to my habituals on future cooks: B&B Chunk Oak Charcoal RAWKS, dudes und dudettens!! This is my small coal-fired smoker (12X12X12 firebox, 12X18X 22 smoke chamber) after 4 hours on one load of coal!!! There may be better out there, but the heck if I'm going to waste any more time lookin' for it!!

Nice temp longtime.jpg

I think this was 6 hours in, don't test me, I'll say 5 next time or 10. It was a long creepy day with little good beer (Fat Tire? Really?)...But I impressed myself prematurely with how my cook was coming along...

Gettin there.jpg

Here's where the nightdaymare started. My smoke chamber is 18 inches wide at the widest poi---oh, nevermind. My brisket was much wider. So I "trimmed" about 5 lbs of flat from the big guy and commenced to make the mistake of cooking on a lower grate at the same time as the point. After my 176 degree reading on the big'un, I failed to check the Lil'un. When I did an hour later, the flat was at 219 degrees. I "thought" that was a good thing, wrapped 'er up in foil and set 'er in a foil lined Igloo cooler for a couple hours. But enough of dropping balls and overcooked brisket...I caught the point right at 203 degrees, wrapped it up, set it in the Igloo with the earlier flat, and answered my phone, which I guess someone had to do. It was my 22 year old boy, having "car (Prius  :rolleyes: )  trouble" on his way for brisket dinner. He said the car smelt of burnt rubber, so he pulled over. So I went into rescue mode, got to the scene and found he had a simple flat tire. Except...

Come to find that he'd been driving on that flat tire FOR DAYS. Totally oblivious, until the sidewall burnt through via friction on the rim. THAT was his indication that he had "car trouble"...No thing, right? get out the jack, get out the 4-way, a-a-a-a-a-n-n-n-n-d...One of the FOUR lugnuts had welded itself to the rim. You already know why, simple physics. My boy borders on book genius, but he has no capacity for common sense...I tried a cheater bar, tried a propane torch, that bastige would. Not. Budge...This was an hour and a half later. I called Fail and we came back to the house without the car. It in fact, due to the holiday, sits there yet, on a shoulder on a country farm road, being babysat by mosquitos and ticks, who I told when we left that if they could fix it, they could have it--I'd even pay the first gas tankful...

But this is what we're here for, yes? I watched an Aaron Franklin vid on his techniques, and he at one point suggested cutting the point down the center thusly:

Point-deckle-flat.jpg

Man, it comes so close to looking like something Iron Mike or Ragun Gardener or Sobelri would do, and it came out of that Igloo almost 2 hours later as hot as it went in....

First slice.jpg

But wait!! There's not just the cookin', there's the EATIN'!!

I'd like to dedicate this pic to Hogleg. No one even has to ask why, ain't that neat? Dude, you WILL be assimilated. Resistance isn't exactly futile, but the day is coming when you eat it and you like it...Well, we can dream, right?

Hogleg Plate.jpg

As a send-off, with a borrowed POL mask that he actually bought in London 6 years ago, my son Dylan, and his profusely plated numminess (it was firsts, he was civilized for seconds)...

Dyl POL.jpg

Awright, I've distracted you fine people long enough...

:metal: THP ROX, and PPATB!!! :metal:

Simple Memorial Day cookout at the house. We ended up getting a new grill. So here's the grill pic.

wlWJKER.jpg

POL

fFOwxLD.jpg

taYq4FC.jpg

OQf2cDt.jpg

CtWobfI.jpg

GeJXcbT.jpg

PVFd78F.jpg

SU2lJX8.jpg

All in all simple but delicious. Burgers with sauteed onions and japs topped with cheese, yardbird with honey chipotle BBQ, dogs, mac and cheese and corn. Everything gets a liberal dose of Stardust :)

NAWLINS IN BKLYN!
(Blackened po boy, smoked mac n cheese, mustard slaw, cajun corn, key lime pie, and sangria)
  • Blackened catfish po boy (Blackened on the grill with blackening spice and dressed with pickle, tomato, remoulade on a legit baguette)
  • Semi-homemade remoulade (Take Sir Kensington's "Special Sauce" and add pickle juice, horseradish, and pepper powder, I think I grabbed the red savina... and bam! Trust)
  • Smoked mac n cheese (Elbows, butter mixed in, colby jack, provolone, and swiss mixed in, bechamel sauce with parmigiano-reggiano poured over until it fills the tin—on the smoker covered!) 
  • Homemade mustard slaw (This is a mayo-based slaw with just the right amount of dijon, a hint of maple syrup, a little sugar, salt and pepper)
  • Cajun corn (Blackening spice)
  • Homemade key lime pie w/ginger snaps crust (Made by the better half)
  • Sangria for days
Final post!

IMG_20200524_202707.jpg

IMG_20200524_202824.jpg

IMG_20200524_202009.jpg

IMG_20200524_174338.jpg

IMG_20200524_201704.jpg

IMG_20200522_221156.jpg

IMG_20200524_232338.jpg

IMG_20200525_163244_20200525221228697.jpg

IMG_20200525_163624.jpg

IMG_20200525_163839.jpg

IMG_20200525_164229.jpg

IMG_20200525_213843.jpg

RED WHIITE and BLUEberry shortcakes drop-biscuits

4Xf3Jez.jpg
IwMMYA1.jpg

1UumCJS.jpg

4emRwlG.jpg

OniyhBj.jpg

QRgvX3D.jpg

JjfIGbL.jpg

HlecjVa.jpg

POL
9bL2pwf.jpg

BISQUICK SHORTCAKE BISCUITS
INGREDIENTS
2 1/3 cups Bisquick baking mix
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar

1) Heat oven to 425°F.

2) Place all items into bowl and mix until just blended.

3) spoon dough onto a butter cookie sheet. dough balls will be lumpy and that is ok. there will be some flattening out during cooking so leave some space for this between balls.

4) Bake at 425°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on a rack.

5) place shortcake onto plate, slice in half if you would like. add berries and whip cream to your liking and enjoy.

Strawberry/Blueberry topping

1 lb strawberries and 1/2 Cup Blueberries

2 tablespoons sugar

Prep of Berries

1) Wash Blueberries and set aside

2) Wash top and slice strawberries into bite size pieces

3) sprinkle with the sugar and then gently stir to coat, place in fridge for at least 1 hour

4) Remove strawberries from fridge and gently stir looking for the syrup the berries and sugar should have made.

5) Top Shortcake as you see fit.

Thank you for taking the time to look at and consider my entries
:cheers:

salsalady said:
Siv, you need to have a mask in one of your pictures.  Throw some ingredients you used on the counter with a mask, or with some leftovers, take a pic and add it to your thread.  Great post, also!  and all homemade.  was that one green fatalii enough of a bite?

I thought I replied to this but apparently not! One green fatalii wasn't nearly enough for me but I had to be gentle as my daughter loves falafel too. If it was only for me, I would have upped to at least three.

Recipe:
1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained (doesn't work with canned chickpeas as it will end up too mushy)
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onion
2 tbsp chickpea flour (if you don't have this, just put some dried chickpeas in a spice mill or coffee grinder until a powder)
5 chopped garlic cloves (I like garlic)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cardamon (I only have pods so I ground it myself)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 (or more) chopped green chilli pepper of your choice

Mix everything together and then put in a food processor and pulse until you get a reasonably coarse mixture. My chopper is tiny so I had to split it up in multiple batches.

Refrigerate the mix for at least half an hour, if not more before making the falafel.

I bought his falafel maker since I like my toys and it was pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H1XRBCT

Then just make little balls or patties and fry or bake until golden.

49938402366_6102ee1c08_c.jpg

49938705352_f67847aa83_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back