wanted wanna trade?? looking for HOP SEEDS closed thanks to all

EDIT

hello all

thanks for the input i decided against it now that i know what i would be in for
i love green beans but i dont grow the pole type because i dont wanna screw with a trellis, so i really dont wanna do it with something i may never use much of myself

offer closed
thanks your friend Joe

Joe,

Dont have any hop Rhizomes at the moment but I too was on this kick last year and never got around to doing it because we were moving. Its still on the backburner but i have done some extensive reading on the subject. You can order rhizomes online or local brew shops usually have some on hand at the begining of spring, may be worth a call as they may still have some available. You may already know but the thing to note about growing hops is 1. the trellis they will need to grow on and 2. know that your first year will not be as productive as following years. I have heard about hops helping you sleep I have even heard that putting a few hopcones in your pillowcase will help too. If your really wanting to get them going this year

Check out
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/hops/hop-rhizomes

They are fairly enexpensive and have good shipping prices. I have used them many times in the past for homebrews and have never been disapointed.

Our local homebrew shop planted one in a half barrel and put twine going to roof, looked like it was working, they had the vines all trained and they were following the twine. They had a nice plant but no cones yet last I checked.

Also if you get some free check out this forum
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/

from what my buddy says... he started growing them and they exploded in growth.. then he found out later that your supposed to have some massive area for vertical growth available. Also I don't think year 1 will produce for you.

I would check with a more knowledable grower on the subject but I hear its no simple task growing them.

Hops can easily grow twenty FEET in a year.  Do your homework and have a fence or trellis ready.  Production really ramps up year 3.  Best of luck - growing hops (and drinking the beer you made with them) is a real pleasure!  

ajijoe said:
are they perannial? can i leave them in the ground over the winter??

and what kind of trellis is needed??

The hops we grew at our old place (cascade) were indeed perennial - mulch them with straw if they are exposed.  I had them strung along an old chain link fence that was about 4' high and ran the length of the lot between the neighbor's lot (guessing 100+ feet of fence).  By the 3rd year the vines had gone damn near all the way down the fence and set so many flowers that I had em coming out of my ears!  

are they perannial? can i leave them in the ground over the winter??

and what kind of trellis is needed??
yes they are perennial...
At the end of the growing season when the leaves have fallen or turned brown, cut the vines at the surface of the soil. After cutting back the vines a layer of three or four inches of mulch and composted manure can be put over the exposed vines for insulation and nutrition during the winter Up to you and your imagination...do you plan to grow in ground or in container? Hops love the sun and need alot of it and yes they grow fast I have even seen some people claim 8-10" in one day. Heres some ideas to get you going about 30 ft of twine is needed for first year. As the shoots break the ground some will clip the less dominate ones and only have three or four main shoots

hopswide.jpg

hop.jpg

hop2.jpg

i think im just gonna call the whole thing of i dont wanna go through the hassle buying rizomes and i dont wanna screw around with a trellis over something i will prolly not use too much of anyway

i thought it would be kinda cool to do and a bit easier but nah im just gonna forget about it, it looks like too much of a pain and im a little strapped for space as it is

thanks all for your input

your friend  Joe

Back