• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Want to pickle.............

I want to pickle and had some questions.

1. Do I need to boil the vinegar before pouring over peppers if using a boiling water bath?

2.Is it safe to just use a boiling water bath to keep for a year or do I need to pressure can?

3. Does just vinegar preserve better than vinegar/water.

4. What is a good simple pickling recepe for peppers?

5. Do I need to store unopened jars in fridge?

chillilover said:
I want to pickle and had some questions.

1. Do I need to boil the vinegar before pouring over peppers if using a boiling water bath?

2.Is it safe to just use a boiling water bath to keep for a year or do I need to pressure can?

3. Does just vinegar preserve better than vinegar/water.

4. What is a good simple pickling recepe for peppers?

5. Do I need to store unopened jars in fridge?

The easiest and safest way is to just use Pepper, Vinegar, salt or pepper and salt.

The amount all depends on the pepper your using.

For all mashes, I say heat to boiling temp, bottle and then for extra precaution if you want, hot water bath but not needed.

If you are using the water bath method, you can use a 2 cups water/1 cup vinegar solution. I have seen this on Ball canning recipes. It is recommended that you use them within 6 months, but I have had them a year later and they seemed fine. I only refrigerate once opened. Oh and I boil all the ingredients before pouring over the pickles.

1. I bring to a boil as usually recommended
2. Should be safe for a year or more
3. It only needs to be a certain acidity. I use 50/50 water/vinegar
4. 50/50 water/vinegar, peppers, salt and some garlic and spices. Boil liquids, pour in jars over other ingredients and water or pressure can. You can soak peppers overnight in a cold salt water brine or try pickle crisp for a crispier product
5. Only opened jars need ro be refrigerated

So you just boil the liqued then pour over pepper in jar? You don't put the peppers in the pot with the vinegar, right? Also will pickled nagas and scorpions taste good?

chillilover said:
So you just boil the liqued then pour over pepper in jar? You don't put the peppers in the pot with the vinegar, right? Also will pickled nagas and scorpions taste good?

Vinegar and/or salt is used just enough to get the ph to a safe number. Usually you can use around 5% vinegar and 7 % salt both by weight for those peppers

you can also just do like 12-14 % salt only by weight.

I don't have a proper canner. Can I just put the jars on the bottom of a pot and boil or do they need to be off the bottom?

Kosher salt or a non-iodized salt -- I put a small grate on the bottom of my pot to keep the jars off the bottom -- I mix 50/50 water vinegar and about 1Tbs salt and boil till the salt is disintegrated punch small holes in the peppers pack them in sterile clean jars pour warm liquid over top -- clean top of jar - and put a two piece (pre boiled) lid on top then in a hot water bath for 10min. take out and cool and re lid the jars that pop when I touch the top.

Back