• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Wanted: Numex red/green sauce recipe

I'm looking for a recipe for a green sauce (and/or red) which can be bottled, using mostly BigJims. Most of the recipes I've seen have only a short shelf-life and must be frozen to preserve. I've had several frosts and have been forced to pick a lot of unripe or under-ripe peppers and am planning on roasting and peeling them very shortly. I usually expirement with sauces but this time I'd really like to get things done and over with so a recipe would really be nice.

100_4229.jpg

IMHO the NuMex flavor is best when used fresh or frozen-whole, chopped or pureed. We put this stuff (above) right on tamales, enchiladas, even tacos. Our Big Jims and Sandias are ripened and get turned into powders. A few Big Jims get skinned and seeded for ajvar, but that's about it.
While I am a fan of vinegar, I've never liked a NuMex vinegar sauce, tho that is a personal bias. You know the deal: if you want to keep it long out of the fridge or freezer, vinegar is your only friend.

good luck!
b

Thanks for the tips. I ended up smoking and powdering most of mine and they turned out quite good. I'll have to head to New Mexico some time to try the real thing.

As a matter of fact I have. It's not really that hot, but the flavor is amazing!

Awhile ago I bought 2 bottles and made grilled wings. While the wings were on the grill, I mopped the wings with the sauce before turning them. If you like little chunks of garlic and peppers in a thick sauce, I recommend it. It may be their "house sauce", but it's no slouch.

DevilDuck said:
As a matter of fact I have. It's not really that hot, but the flavor is amazing!

Awhile ago I bought 2 bottles and made grilled wings. While the wings were on the grill, I mopped the wings with the sauce before turning them. If you like little chunks of garlic and peppers in a thick sauce, I recommend it. It may be their "house sauce", but it's no slouch.

Cool. I was wondering about it. It looked kinda good, so i guess i'm gonna pick some up soon. Thanks!

Back