• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wanting to try out Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH/LEC)

Ever since I saw one of these at the local hydro shop I've been interested in purchasing one once the price came down a bit. If you are unaware of what a ceramic metal halide is it is very similar to regular metal halide lights except it uses ceramic instead of quarts allowing it to operate at higher tube temperatures and thus produce light more efficiently & at higher color rendering index (90-92 typical). Color rendering index is basically a measure of how close light is to sunlight which is rated at 100. The plants I saw growing under the CMH bulb at the shop looked super happy but the coolest part was they literally looked like they were outdoors on a bright cloudless day at noon.

CRI ratings:

Sunlight: 100
CMH/LEC: 90-92
400W CMH Conversion: 82 
Metal Halide:60-55
HPS: 20-30

CMH also has much higher PAR and thus you get much more efficient growth per watt. Supposedly two 315W CMH bulbs can replace a 1000W HPS bulb. I find that really impressive since each 315W bulb produces 33-36k lumens for 66-72k lumens total vs up to 145k for HPS. Thats over 2x efficiency per lumen if true.

1KnPh8J.png

Anyway the part I'm stuck at is deciding exactly which light to buy. 

Grow Lights: 

1) Sun System LEC 315 W

2) AgroMax HyPAR 315 W
3) HTG Supply 400w CMH
  • 41,000 lumens
  • 3000k/3600k (horizontal/vertical)
  • 82 CRI
  • Magnetic ballast (400w HPS ballast)
  • Limited to 1 type of CMH bulb but can easily switch back to HPS
  • Lower CRI (still much higher than MH or HPS)
  • Higher lumens may offset lower CRI
  • Optional enclosed air cooled reflector (is this even a good idea?)
  • $203-275 depending on reflector
  • http://www.htgsupply.com/products/htg-supply-400w-ceramic-metal-halide-grow-light

I'm leaning toward the last option with the 400W hps ballast because I believe I still have one of those somewhere in storage so all I would need to get is a bulb & possibly a new socket for it. The reflector I have is enclosed air cooled though and it seems like most people run these CMH lights without glass so may need a cheap reflector too.

i don't think i'd buy the expensive one, if doing that i would just go ahead and get the 1000w de fixture for the same price..

atficical sunlight is not organic.

it probably causes spontaneous GMO mutations too.

why are you compromising your laugable principals? are you shilling for monsanto?

I have looked around at those as well but I'm always too cheap to pull the trigger.  I think how much heat they put out and how easy you can regulate temps in your growing area would be something to really consider.  I only hear that they run cooler than higher wattage HPS, but have never heard first hand info as far as actual specs.  I'm interested in your setup and how you're going to use it.

DesertRoots said:
I have looked around at those as well but I'm always too cheap to pull the trigger.  I think how much heat they put out and how easy you can regulate temps in your growing area would be something to really consider.  I only hear that they run cooler than higher wattage HPS, but have never heard first hand info as far as actual specs.  I'm interested in your setup and how you're going to use it.

I've had an indoor grow with 400w hps before and it was pretty easy to manage temps using a tent. I just used a cheap walmart round desktop fan taped onto some ducting to blow cold air through the cool tube reflector and it kept the glass cool enough to touch. Never used an HID light without an enclosed reflector though. The one I saw at the hydro shop was that 315W sun systems one and it didn't seem to be putting off much heat at all.

If you want to see my old setup check out this thread. I built a pretty sweet dutch bucket recirculating drip system and grew some aji lemon drops under 400w hps. Had some issue with flower drop due to way overfeeding but turned out well once I got that fixed: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/7681-2009-grow-log/?p=166045

This round I think I'm going to go with something smaller or maybe even just pots at first cause I want to grow a few different things. Going to grow smaller plants this time too lol. No more giant chinense or baccatums. Also want to use the space for getting plants started for transplant for next year.

I'm curious if the two different 315w bulbs would make any difference since you are trying to produce peppers.  

Pretty cool setup there, I like seeing homemade stuff like that.  I made a cheap insulated box with an 8 bulb T5 to start plants only though.  Was/Still am considering an LEC for some reason even though my T5s run really well.  Interested in how this all turns out!   :think:

Back