• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Warm/Cold Storage

I'm planning this summer's project for next spring. On top of my park bench I'm building a 2 and half foot by 8 foot warm(electric heater for early spring)/cold storage and was wondering what material would be best to use. We get hail here in the spring and last time I needed to do this was in the 70's (Plexiglass). Got any ideas maybe cheeper or better? just thought I"d bounce it off you guys first. Figuring about 3 foot to 5 foot high.

Ya lost me man. I'm not sure what you're asking. A coldframe? Mini greenhouse? Polycarbonate panels are a great choice and impact-resistant but also pretty spendy.

Ya lost me man. I'm not sure what you're asking. A coldframe? Mini greenhouse? Polycarbonate panels are a great choice and impact-resistant but also pretty spendy.

Its gonna be both. I got a space heater to place in it for early spring. I'm making it portable so it can be taken off for summer. Winter cold storage for bulbs and herbs. Building it on top of my park bench gives protection from floods (shit happens). I've done wood frame and plastic sheet on the ground. Floods and hail in spring always throws that down the crapper so i need something a little more toughter than plastic sheet. Guess I'm asking is there anything better. Plexiglass in the 70's wasn't that spendy then. I've seen a cheep one done out of old windows but that wouldn't hold up to hail. good light though

What about putting something like shade cloth over old windows-a frame over the cold frame, so hail doesn't hit the glass.
Get something similar-netting-as big a mesh as you can find so it lets the light in but not the hard water.

why not use green house film? they make woven stuff up too like 11mil, pretty much weather proof imo and cheep.... the frame could be 1/2" pvc and just staked to the ground. the greenhouse polycarbonate panels are also pretty much weather proof from what i know not to cheep tho.

as far as the heating goes... why not heat it with a 250watt HPS? :lol:

why not use green house film? they make woven stuff up too like 11mil, pretty much weather proof imo and cheep.... the frame could be 1/2" pvc and just staked to the ground. the greenhouse polycarbonate panels are also pretty much weather proof from what i know not to cheep tho.

as far as the heating goes... why not heat it with a 250watt HPS? :lol:

I"ll check into green house film. I'm heating it with the portable heater cause I already have it. Because of the small size the heater should be enough providing I seal it good. thankyou

Back