Was directed to this sub

I'm new here(Hi guys and girls) and could use some directions to any detailed threads or guides that might help me create some sort of indoor grow space/room for peppers primarily(not that I don't like the thought of growing some other things).

I'm in the NY/PA area so it's still 10-30 F at night and I need some ideas on any setups or equipment I'd need to start growing indoors. I don't have a ton of DIY experience but if there is a guide then I can work it out.

I've seen some really interesting setups but it's hard to know where to begin(Should I be doing it in the garage? I guess that would be nice though it's pretty cold in there.) Would a greenhouse be better? How strong should the fans be? I'm really at step one.

I see some people just have plants growing under some lights but do they really provide enough heat or do I need heating mats/space heaters in the room and such? I also see some people stringing up what looks to be foil around their plants.

Forgive my ignorance.

how many plants do you want to grow / how much space are you ok with using?

will you grow plants indoors to start them then plant outside end of may or you want to grow fully indoors 24/7 365?

your space will need to be heated, minimum temperature you want is 50-60 f

Well I'm just starting out so I'd be happy if even a few came to maturity. I guess I could devote half of a two-car garage to workable space.

I'm not looking to build a factory but I'd still grow as many as possible once I can start moving them outdoors.

I'd like to grow them all year round but would probably transplant them outside during summer. I would like a setup that allowed for growth all year though.

PepperZ said:
I'm new here(Hi guys and girls) and could use some directions to any detailed threads or guides that might help me create some sort of indoor grow space/room for peppers primarily(not that I don't like the thought of growing some other things).

I'm in the NY/PA area so it's still 10-30 F at night and I need some ideas on any setups or equipment I'd need to start growing indoors. I don't have a ton of DIY experience but if there is a guide then I can work it out.

I've seen some really interesting setups but it's hard to know where to begin(Should I be doing it in the garage? I guess that would be nice though it's pretty cold in there.) Would a greenhouse be better? How strong should the fans be? I'm really at step one.

I see some people just have plants growing under some lights but do they really provide enough heat or do I need heating mats/space heaters in the room and such? I also see some people stringing up what looks to be foil around their plants.

Forgive my ignorance.

I am in NJ so I understand your climate this time of year.  I start my seedlings in the house on a heat mat.  Then they get moved to the unheated basement.  The lights do provide enough heat for the peppers to do well until plant out (early May).  I find my basement to be warmer than my garage so if you have a basement that maybe a better option.  

using some space in your house if you have room is nice. like a half empty closet. Since it's already heated.
you can play with starting plants until you get the hang of it / how you like it.

ideally a decent sized heated greenhouse with a couple hids to suplement light in winter so you could grow other fun stuff like dwarf lemon/lime/fig/pomegranate trees but that would be $$$

here i grew in a closet one of my first years, just a light, a fan, and some cups
txhuKdF.jpg

uSGZseZ.jpg

How strong of a light should I be looking for? Also, any safety precautions I should be taking so I don't blow myself up or set my room on fire?

juanitos said:
have you read the FAQ? http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46361-growing-hot-peppers-guide-faq/
i have a few different setups and must read articles/links about most everything.
Also there is the Sticky light 101 in this sub.
Yeah I browsed that.

In the light section it says HID(These are the preferred correct?) are typically 400w, 600w, and 1000w but shouldn't be put too close. What exactly is too close (It says not in a compact growing area) and which of those 3 sets is particularly what I should be looking for?

What kind of light did you use in the above picture if you don't mind me asking?

PepperZ said:
Yeah I browsed that.

In the light section it says HID(These are the preferred correct?) are typically 400w, 600w, and 1000w but shouldn't be put too close. What exactly is too close (It says not in a compact growing area) and which of those 3 sets is particularly what I should be looking for?

What kind of light did you use in the above picture if you don't mind me asking?
HID is preferred if fruiting indoors (90% of us only get fruit outside, only start baby plants indoors). otherwise the other technologies are fine. 
Depends on power but generally 2-4 feet above canopy. farther the younger the plants are.
the biggest limitation for HID is you can not put them on shelves to have a compact footprint.

in the pic is t5 sunlight supply 4ft 8 bulb. (which is overkill for that amount of plants)

if you want shelves see this: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45347-spicy-chickens-cheap-grow-boxes-anyone-can-do-it-;-post-30-forward/page-2#entry966757

Back