• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wasps and Yellow Jackets

I have quite a few buzzin around my plants. Are they predators to the 'bad bugs'? It's so hot here that I don't know if the aphids are too hot to eat OR these wasps and yellow jackets are eating them...but I'm not noticing as much damage to my babies :) Which, would be very nice!

Wasps/yellow jackets are the good guys when it comes to your plants. Just watch out for the yellow jackets as they are quite tempermental. I don't have a problem with wasps, but my family does. My daughter is very afraid of them so I unfortunately, if they are in my backyard, I have to destroy the nest, otherwise she will not go outside to play. My wife is deathly afraid of them as well.

Wasps are 100% hunters Yellow Jackets eat anything just put a watermelon slice out and watch them go after the sugary goodness.

Thanks guys! I have a deep respect for the yellow jacket being that I've had my fair share of stings during my life :( It is great to know they are the "good guys". They musta hit the mother load as they are on my plants everytime I go check on them (due to this awful heat and no rain)

My kidos don't go around that side of the house by mommies garden..lol, they are more scared of my peppers than bugs after seeing me DURING and AFTER eating a Brainstrain or Butch T etc :rofl:

I will have hubby 'tend' to any plants if I need something other than turning the sprinkler on ;) He can handle the stings WAAY better than me!! I no like pain!! :surprised:

LOL @ Prehensile!!! I don't want to take them away from eating those bad bugs....OR waste goooooood watermelon during this heat wave :P

I was out in my garden the other day and saw a wasp jumping from plant to plant, exploring each one. I just stood there and watched it for awhile, when it came up near me, landed on a shelf and commenced eating a plump green grub of some kind. It ate the whole thing, I decided then and there that I would leave wasps be from then on.

That is awesome cyan!! I haven't seen 'my' wasps or jackets eating anything...I really just turn the sprinkler on in the morning for a bit, then check on them later in the day when i get home. I don't stay too close for too long lol!

Great topic. I always wondered about wasps. Seeing as I have a nice new fungus gnat infestation on the shady side of my house, now I'm thinking I'll toss out a couple slices of watermelon around my plants to bring them in haha as well as the cutting back on watering.

I know, right? I don't think of wasps as pollinators..I could be wrong, just have never thought of them like bees or butterflies etc. That's wat made me wonder, that and because they were not on the flowers, but all in the leaves and stuff. This no rain and heat may be a 2 edged sword :)

Wasps are my primary pollinators, with tiny sweat bees coming in second (or first for tiny blooms on some herbs). They also lay eggs in the hornworms to take them out in a few days of agony.

Main problem is if they feel threatened. They won't sting me on a lark but if I bump a plant stem and one is on it, it's time to move away if I don't want to be stung.

Depends on the type of wasp what they are doing. On my plants with ripply leaves they will often come around after I water and get a drink from a drop on the leaves.

I was out in my garden the other day and saw a wasp jumping from plant to plant, exploring each one. I just stood there and watched it for awhile, when it came up near me, landed on a shelf and commenced eating a plump green grub of some kind. It ate the whole thing, I decided then and there that I would leave wasps be from then on.

YES THIS IS VERY TRUE
just tear open a tent caterpillar nest and watch the jackets carry the pillers off, they are a top predictor in the garden and are opportunity feeders, very good to have around

thanks your friend joe

I was pressure cleaning picked up a potted plant and this girl was under it, I put the plant back and watched it for a while. She was bringing back caterpillars, I left her be, bout a week later I checked up on em 4 or so didn't make it.
11-24-1012-4018.jpg

When I was a kid
Why?? Why would some one do that??! LoL
when I was a kid my one uncle had a jeep he liked to drive with the windshield down. One sunny day a momma Bumble Bee failed to get out of the way, his mouth was just cracked open enough to catch that bee with his teeth, before he could spit it out it stung him on his tongue!

REMINDS ME OF WHEN A FRIEND OF MINE AND ME WERE ATTACKEd BY GROUND NESTING YELLOW JACKETS AS KIDS

the nest started to swarm at the opening
i tried to yell

ALAN RUN!!

ALL THAT CAME OUT WAS ALAN OOOOO!! a jacket flew right in my mouth stinging my lip and tongue

i chewed him up and spit him out while i was running away now thats spicy!!

ouch!! im glad im not allergic i was swollen for a few hours

thanks your friend Joe

Back