• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Water-logged

I can't believe my luck. I just did the big transplant 4 days ago and for the last couple of days it's been raining non-stop. All the soil in my pots is like muck. I have adequate drainage but it can't dry out because it won't stop raining. Anybody else in this predicament?

Diabolus said:
I can't believe my luck. I just did the big transplant 4 days ago and for the last couple of days it's been raining non-stop. All the soil in my pots is like muck. I have adequate drainage but it can't dry out because it won't stop raining. Anybody else in this predicament?

HA you must live in Iowa. We have had over a foot of rain in the last ten days. GRRRR!

gardenkiller said:
HA you must live in Iowa. We have had over a foot of rain in the last ten days. GRRRR!

Actually I'm in Ontario but it's probably same weather systems moving north-east.

This may not be the best for plants, but I took the pots and drilled bigger holes in the bottom, then took a thin steel rod and poked lots of holes in the soil all the way to the bottom while trying to avoid the roots. Seemed to help it dry out faster. That and bring them in everytime it rains until they are completely dried out.

Thanks gardenkiller. I like the steel rod idea. I should miss the roots since they haven't even had a chance to spread yet.

I dealt with this last year storms/hail & taking to much time to move plants/containers. this year I made some wagons to keep plants on & move into the shed or house when storms or cold temps show up.
& its also been a stormy week here also, hoping next week we get sunny conditions.

Same thing here. I am using the 3 ring tomato cages so I covered them with clear plastic bags, cut some slits in the side for airflow... hopefully it'll help.

yea stormed here the last few days also i need sunshine for about 10 straight days so my soil might get a little dry damn we have had the rain and storms here heck yesterday we had a tornado about 1/2 mile from my house all my plants where laid sideways when i got home but nothing was broke thank the lord for that

When it rains I bring them into the garadge...know depending on how many plants you have in pots, this may or may not be an option.

It's raining everywhere it seems. In Guatemala we have had 3 days of non stop rain due to a tropical storm coming from the south. Well... I love my chiles but I will not spoil them. They can take a little rain. They seem to be doing ok

The only damage I've seen too much rain cause (not including a flood that got part of my tobacco crop) is if the ground is completely soaked and then very direct sunlight hits it, it can cause a plant to scald.

Mike

i'm in ontario too so i'm gettin' the same weather, plants seem to be doing great tho. the containers aren't in saucers and are on a deck so water doesn't collect underneath them, and i used coir, instead of peat, which does absorb a lot of water but still stays kinda fluffy so maybe that helps as well. unless the plants actually look like they're suffering from the wet weather i wouldn't try to fix something that ain't broke...

Back