• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Water proofing wood or other ideas

Made it to the plant room last night.  Not good.  Season will be OK, but virtually everything I was planning on selling as a plant bit the dust due to lack of water.  Turns out, while I was away the kids spit up the watering and my son ( bless his heart ) blew it off a couple times.  He got the plug trays to water and was misting but not heavy enough.  Again, its gonna hurt but not horribly.  But it got me to thinking.

The plants in 3" and solo cups were in treys, bottom watered.  Daughter could follow the instructions easily, let the water get to zero and then add half a gallon.  I usually let them dry out more, but hard to explain how to judge.  The plants in plug trays and peat pellets were hosed.  So came up with a way the kids could do better but need to know what product can turn wood into a fish tank.  Maybe one of those two part epoxy paints.

Here is the thought.  Tobacco growers use Styrofoam plug trays called floaters.  Outside, the cheap way to use them is you dig a trench, line with black plastic, fill with poop water, float your trays, and then cover with clear plastic.  I guess you could line it with plastic indoors but one little poke and you have a flood. 

I can get floaters from a friend and mentor who used to do tobacco.  Just gotta figure out trays.  Thinking making of wood and then painting with something?  Have googled wood fish tanks.  Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what product to use. 

I figure with all the hydro people here there has gotta be someone who made their own flood table from wood.

Pool liner is quite expensive, but it would take a pretty vicious poke at it to cause a leak... i am not certain this is a meaningful suggestion, you'll have to price it out and see.There may be another plastic that is suitable.

The kind of paint used for wooden boats might be suitable, but i've heard that saltwater boat's paints have toxic substances in them to inhibit the growth of barnacles, kelp, etc. Such paints are, in the conversation i had with a boat-owner, termed "anti-fouling paint". I know nothing about paint for freshwater boats: they may contain toxic materials too.
Actually, even pool liners may contain some toxins. I DO know that i can't use bathroom silicone caulking in aquaria or hydroponics setups -- they contain a fungicide to inhibit mildew

This tobacco farming technique sounds really good, though... i suspect that tobacco needs drainage as much as peppers do.

How big are you talking?

I bought a "Utility tray" from a company called Ultra-Tech(through Amazon).  They have a TON of other products on their actual website(and might all be available from Amazon).

http://www.spillcontainment.com

The one I bought was the 1032 model Utility Tray and was 28x52(outside dimensions) and it worked great in my 30x60 grow tent.  I had to spend some time organizing the solo cups so they wouldnt tip over because of the way the bottom is designed with raised sections, but it wasnt that bad.  Price was about $60.  The tray worked great for bottom watering.  I would water my 4 big reapers that were in 7 gallon containers and the run off would then bottom water my solo cups(I had about 70 in there at one time, plus my 4 big plants).

just line it with the thicker black plastic like they do for kratky setups..

then make it an ebb / flood table and you don't ever have to worry about watering again.

a3d911e1-d167-40e1-896a-09031ee229ff_400.jpg

Use a brush or roller. 1 gallon $50. and 3.5 gallon $140. available at The Home Depot. 1 gallon should be more than enough for you. Water soluble.

I recommend 2 coats.

I am a Tile contractor. I use it to waterproof every shower I build. I prefer Hydroban by Laticrete but for everyday waterproofing, Redgard can't be beat. If you prefer a green color (instead of red) and an even tougher product, use Hydroban, $75./gallon. Order it online.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Looks fantastic.  I get the idea a lot of the advise I find online for this are folk who did something once and lucked out.  Advise from someone who does it for a living is easier to trust.  Just not to many professional wood aquarium builders out there.  Now wishing I knew about some of these products when I redid the tile in the bathroom cause got kids and damn...

Another thought is to use Oatey Shower Pan sheet vinyl. It comes in 5' X 6' sheets for $30. or a 5' X 40' roll for $200. It's 40 mil thick and will not puncture easily. If you make your wood trays, then cut the piece to fit, folding the corners and tacking it to the tray around the top, it will hold water for days. Hydroban or RedGard might not hold up over time if it's fully submerged. You will never have to worry about it.

One 5 X 6 sheet would give you four trays approximately 2' X 3'.

Also available at The Home Depot and Lowes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-ft-x-6-ft-PVC-Shower-Pan-Liner-Kit-41620/100344211

632e5568-03d9-4e60-b1ac-d4503e19cc62_400.jpg

Back