• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water watering tips?

I went to the farmers market and visited the pepper lady. she is a guru!!! ended up buying a nice ghost from her, her plants are so awesome. she said that im watering my plants(started from seed) to often and not enough. i was spraying them every day, but sparingly around the stem only. she said i need to soak them(to get all the roots) in a watering tray for two hours then dont water them up to a week. also to let you know i do indoor flo lights 12 to 14 hours, and let them stay outside on pretty days. thanks for any information. coach-

Yes, bottom watering is the way to go IMO. It promotes downward root growth and minimizes soil compaction. But two HOURS? It depends on your potting mix, but I only soak my trays for 4-5 minutes, and they are quite wet after that. I also try to keep the soil surface as dry as possible. It helps ward away nasties like mold and fungas gnats.

edit: I'm talking seedlings in cell trays here.

I went to the farmers market and visited the pepper lady. she is a guru!!! ended up buying a nice ghost from her, her plants are so awesome. she said that im watering my plants(started from seed) to often and not enough. i was spraying them every day, but sparingly around the stem only. she said i need to soak them(to get all the roots) in a watering tray for two hours then dont water them up to a week. also to let you know i do indoor flo lights 12 to 14 hours, and let them stay outside on pretty days. thanks for any information. coach-
It depends on how big the plant is. The bigger plants are ok to top water, the smaller ones should be bottom watered. You should pay close attn to the leaves and how heavy the pot is as to how often the plant should be watered. If the pot is light and the leaves are droopy/wilted then its time to water :)

ph_tester2.jpg
This meter(Ebay .99 cents) works very well so far as the moisture content goes, I was watering my stuff way to much.

thanks a bunch you guys are the shit. this whole web site is freakin amazing. can i pick up those meters any where that sells plants?

Home improvement stores sell them Coach. I bought mine on Amazon I think but I have seen similar meters at Lowes, Home Depot and OSH. I am sure Walmart, Target and some others carry them as well.

When the container becomes so light you can pick it up and feel how much water it has just like mega said. You are better off letting the plant wilt from no water, then water. You do not need to soak any plant in water for two hours!! haha

the chopstick method works well too! when you think you should water shove a chopstick in the soil, if it feels wet and has soil stuck to it, no need to water.

Like Capsicum said, I usually go by weight since mine are all in containers. If I am not sure then I stick the moisture probe in and see what it says.

Back