bottles-jars Waxing the top of the bottle

Hiya

Doing up a small batch of sauce to give out for the holidaze.  Wanted to wax the top of the bottle.
Have seen plenty of pictures of other people doing it.

Tried doing a search but came up empty. 
Can anyone direct me to a thread or even youtube video on the most efficient and easy way to do this for 10-12 bottles?
best kind of wax, etc etc.

everyone have a wonderful turkey day!

GemCrow

Wax weight is very important. Melting temps, thickness of wax, amount of drip, etc

I used to seal all my hobby batches this way. Still do actually.

Double boiler "style" process is key, but I've been using a stainless steel mixing bowl that fits into one of my quart pots.

I'm going to try the soup can method soon, as it will help to keep the wax melted with a more contained area.

Lots of good sealing waxes online - google "bottle sealing wax". If you don't feel like sawing wax blocks, a lot of folks offer beads which work great.

Good luck!

I've only done it a couple times and found the tin can method to be pretty good, except for hacking away with a hatchet to break up the block to fit into the 24oz can.  The tall cans work well for dipping the bottle tops into.  The wax I used seemed to have a high melt point and I melted it straight over a propane stove.  Definitely would have to set it up different if doing it again.   As careful as I was using a foil lined tray, there were still a few drips onto the stove. 

Back