• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Weak Brown Moruga

Over a dozen varieties of peppers and the brown moruga is by far the least sun friendly. 5-10 minutes in the sun and its a limp disgrace of a pepper. Time for it to toughin up or die. I put it in a spot that gets about 2 hours of sun a day. We will see how it does, im sick of moving it. For the last 3 weeks I have moved it into the sun and back out 10 minutes later. Nothing else has this problem. From bells to reapers, the rest take all the sun they can get. All grew up in the same setup.

They took much longer to germinate than anything else too.. maybe I should take it as a sign.

I have had no issues with brown morugas at all, in germination, growing in full sun or even in situations where there feet were wetter then most peppers like. I have had very good luck with them and hope to trump that this year.

My other dozen varieties are all thriving. Reapers, bhuts, peters, brain strains, primos, jalapeno, brazillian starfish, pablano, bells, etc.. all happy as can be.. moruga, not so much

I grew mine in 3.5 gal containers last year and hence, they were root bound. That did not appear to be a negative aspect though. It simply meant I was watering wilting plants everyday.
Pics from the OP are worth a 1000 words.

No it just got potted up from solo cup to 3 gallon pot about a month ago.. plenty of root room for the time being.. i will post a pic next time im by it

That is not a lot of growth for one month in a bigger pot. How hot does the pot get? Soil also looks like it may have a bit of a salt crust on the surface. How often do you fertilize, and with what?

The white is perlite. I fertalize with alaska fish emulsion. The soil is a mixture of composted chicken poop (fully composted), cow poop, worm casting, FF potting soil, perlite, and garden dirt...

average size of the other peppers is roughly 2 feet. Same grow area, same germination method, same exact soil. White bhuts have multiple pods. Peter peppers have pods. Orange bell have pods. Jalapeno have pods. Brown moruga, small and suffering from agoraphobia
http://imgur.com/hdrNAU5

Another pepper, same exact conditions. Same exact soil. Same exact ferts.

LordHill said:
Time for it to toughin up or die.

I took this approach a little too literal this year and was in a very similar spot with my SBJ7's. I was bummed for a while but then I decided I'm a little pepper rich this year anyway thanks to a meet up with WichitaChief so I staked the only one left sorta standing and tossed the rest.  We still got a long journey to go around these parts and if you can't figure your :censored: out at this point then I am not giving you much hope, especially if the rest around you are! :snooty:     

Actually the brown moruga seeds were bonus seeds from my pepperlover.com order. Still, bonus or planned for, once the seeds were sowed i started looking forward to them lol.. oh well, maybe itll be an indoor plant

Good luck! Who knows, maybe it will grow a pair at some point and really take off. Even the best seeds from the best growers just sometimes sprout weak plants. Look at the folks who grow hundreds of plants; there always seem to be a few runts that either get culled or nursed along.

Its still early here in michigan. Not warm enough to go outside permanently yet.. it has time on its side, but it needs to get it together lol

I think it is a lack of proper light intensity issue.
and maybe compaction. That is based only on the pics with no info.
Taking into account the info that followed, I would have to side with an inferior seed. I have grown Judys brown moruga now for 2 years and it is one of my banner choices. I have never seen one of my plants exhibit the symptoms indicated in the pic.

Back