• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Weak-hot and thin-walled Bhut Jolokia

Hey all,

A mate of mine obtained a Bhut plant from a reputable growing collective in Melbourne. He gave me one several weeks later obtained from the same source, hence my interest in his plant's pods.

The exterior shape of the pod is identical to what I see here and on the web for Bhut Jolokia. The colouring is as per the photo a dusky yellow:

C16B40C8-3035-4694-B230-1B424E790CBD-6120-000000E19F25C695.jpg

My main issue is the lack of heat from the pepper - it's only as hot as a Thai bird's eye in my opinion, not the face-melting strength I was lead to believe the type has. Also, the interior and exterior walls are "papery" and have a capsicum-like aroma; not sure if the latter factor means anything, but the thinness leads me to speculate this may not be a healthy pod.

Should it have been fertilized more? Could this just be a "dud" plant? My own plant is flowering but yet to pod, so I'm curious as to whether I can expect more of the same.

Cheers guys.

Well first of all, that is not the right color for a bhut jolokia, unless it was supposed to be a yellow bhut. The yellow bhut isn't even close to being as hot as the original bhut, more like 200K-400K SHU.

There are many reasons why it might not be putting out hot pods, it could be a sick plant, bad genetics, over-watering, or it could be a hybrid or not a bhut at all. Hard to say.

My bhuts were a lighter orangeish red color . They were sweet but extremely hot. The heat comes from the plant being stressed as well as the location/temps grown and quality of the seeds. Its possible your Bhuts were crossed.

It is hard to tell from that picture, but if that is the whole pepper it seems awfully short to be a bhut of any type.

Thanks very much guys!

It appears from your advice my mate may have been dudded and the "Bhut" is in fact a Hab or something else entirely ... I'll await my version of the same plant to fruit and then check it out.

Thanks again.

Back