• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor weather effecting pepper taste

have any of you had this winter weather effecting the flavor of your late bloomer pods?
I noticed quite a few of my pods from many of my plants, the flavor isnt what it was during spring and summer.

Makes perfect sense that the heat/flavor isn't the same during the winter months. The plants are missing out on 20-25% of the sun. Heck I'm half rotten and awful salty by the time winter moves through, plants don't stand a chance.

Yes, but it seems to effect each differently. My fataliis appear unaffected, my Scorps and 7pods heat value went down, but the flavor is still there. My trini Perfumes heat went up a bit...not much but a noticable difference and the flavor has fallen way off from what it used to be. All but one of my SB's have quit doing anything. The foodarama is still ripening pods. My Bih's refuse to ripen and my lemon drops are sporting a wierd purplish hue on about 30% of the pods.

have any of you had this winter weather effecting the flavor of your late bloomer pods?
I noticed quite a few of my pods from many of my plants, the flavor isnt what it was during spring and summer.

Sure,
Especially if your growing with containers, there's alot factoring in, an excess amount of rain can lower the ph in the soil, loss on minerals due to exhaustion , shorter light cycles, extended soil dampness and lower temperature......that's only a few
Same with other vegetables....Leafy greens can turn bitter......earthy tasting...

Greg

PIC 1, Im glad you posted, cause your avatar pic is the exact level of ripeness that my scorps and 7pots are achieving. They won't get any deeper red than that.

And good point about pots....all of mine are in pots if that helps the OP.

PIC 1, Im glad you posted, cause your avatar pic is the exact level of ripeness that my scorps and 7pots are achieving. They won't get any deeper red than that.

And good point about pots....all of mine are in pots if that helps the OP.

This late in the year especially in Z5/4 the plants production has shut down. The longer the pods hang around on the plants the more likely they'll become moldy inside out.
I ended up harvesting a bunch of half ripes......processed as much as I could and said,, "bye,bye,..charlie" to the remainders.
It was a good summer and i'm taking a break from it.....well that is until Dec 1st when the first bitch of seeds get planted.......... :)

Greg

This late in the year especially in Z5/4 the plants production has shut down. The longer the pods hang around on the plants the more likely they'll become moldy inside out.
I ended up harvesting a bunch of half ripes......processed as much as I could and said,, "bye,bye,..charlie" to the remainders.
It was a good summer and i'm taking a break from it.....well that is until Dec 1st when the first bitch of seeds get planted.......... :)

Greg
ya im planning on powderizing my remaining pods.

Looking forward to spring ;)

Back