Website resources

My website is up and running:

http://www.matanzima.com/

I don't expect to sell much off the site, but in this day and age its pretty much mandatory to have one.

This is the third small business site I've done, and was the easiest by far, so I thought I'd share my experience with some of the tools I used in the hope this info will be useful to others.

Domain registration and hosting is via Godaddy (http://www.godaddy.com/). They have good prices, and I've used them for a while for other sites and they are reliable and are ethical with their billing practices (as opposed to say CI Host, who would do things like tack on services and charge me without authorization, and continue to charge me after I cancelled the account... but thats another story).

So overall I'm happy with Godaddy - cheap and reliable. The only con is their user interface for managing the site settings - it looks like it was designed by a schizophrenic squirrel on speed. The only good thing is once the site is setup, then you don't need to look at that epileptic fit inducing interface again.

For my shop front and e-commerce I use Shopify (http://www.shopify.com/) and Paypal for credit card processing. Shopify is very slick - it took me all of 2 to 3 hours to put together that site - they have a ton of templates, which can be used out of the box, tweaked a little (what I did) or fully customized. I'm using the cheapest plan - $29 per month. There are cheaper options than Shopify, but for me I wanted something that was easy (I don't have time to spend hours and hours tweaking stuff) and looked decent, and I think shopify fits the bill

Everyones heard of Paypal - they're OK, but if I get a decent sales volume I will probably switch to a fully integrated shopping cart.

For email I use the free, small business edition of Google apps (http://www.google.com/apps/). This gets me myname@mydomain.com, using gmail as a client. So I can have 2 tabs open in my browser, one with my personal gmail account, and one with my business email. I have an Android phone, and likewise I can get and reply to both my work and business email accounts from my phone.

I also use Google Voice through google apps. That way I have a business phone number that rings my cell phone that is separate from my personal number. Using Google voice on my phone I can also dial out using the GVoice number for business calls, and the business voice mail has a separate greeting and mail box. So far this all works great, and you can't beat the price

yey congrats!! Its always exciting to get a website up! We use godaddy.com also, we've been happy with it!

Good luck and best wishes :clap: (not sure why hes clapping, I suppose it is appropriate.. I just like smileys hehe)

xoxo nicole

Another GoDaddy user here as well. We use the whole GoDaddy package along with their Quick Shopping Cart. Currently I have 600 products running through it and add more every day. Our complete catalog is 1200+ Products hope to get done this spring because we will be adding more to bring our complete line to a little over 3000.

I was concerned at first if GD's QSC could handle such a large site but so far it has been awesome and their support is always helpful and friendly. Love that. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that it is template based so you can't get too fancy with design and graphics. That was ok by me I didn't want to drown my customers with graphics I want to sell hot sauce and hot sauce is the sites main focus.

I am no Website designer by far and know little to nothing about HTML but have put that entire site together by myself with the help of my 13 y.o. son. It has been a great father and son project and we have had a blast with it.

The site address is my tag. Don't want to put a link here because I was suspended from this site for doing so earlier this week.

I do highly recommend GoDaddy for anything you have to do for a website when you don't want to start a career as a web designer and stay focused on your business. By the way this the second time I have used GoDaddy for a business site so I have seen their product evolve over the years. The first site I did with them was 10 years ago using what they called then Web Site Complete. I still have the disc for it to and it still works great.

Eddie.........

www.matanzima.com ... Nice site!
I like simple , east to navigate sites like this.
Good luck with it and I think you will do good ....
thumbsup22.gif

My website is up and running:

http://www.matanzima.com/

I don't expect to sell much off the site, but in this day and age its pretty much mandatory to have one.

This is the third small business site I've done, and was the easiest by far, so I thought I'd share my experience with some of the tools I used in the hope this info will be useful to others.

Domain registration and hosting is via Godaddy (http://www.godaddy.com/). They have good prices, and I've used them for a while for other sites and they are reliable and are ethical with their billing practices (as opposed to say CI Host, who would do things like tack on services and charge me without authorization, and continue to charge me after I cancelled the account... but thats another story).

So overall I'm happy with Godaddy - cheap and reliable. The only con is their user interface for managing the site settings - it looks like it was designed by a schizophrenic squirrel on speed. The only good thing is once the site is setup, then you don't need to look at that epileptic fit inducing interface again.

For my shop front and e-commerce I use Shopify (http://www.shopify.com/) and Paypal for credit card processing. Shopify is very slick - it took me all of 2 to 3 hours to put together that site - they have a ton of templates, which can be used out of the box, tweaked a little (what I did) or fully customized. I'm using the cheapest plan - $29 per month. There are cheaper options than Shopify, but for me I wanted something that was easy (I don't have time to spend hours and hours tweaking stuff) and looked decent, and I think shopify fits the bill

Everyones heard of Paypal - they're OK, but if I get a decent sales volume I will probably switch to a fully integrated shopping cart.

For email I use the free, small business edition of Google apps (http://www.google.com/apps/). This gets me myname@mydomain.com, using gmail as a client. So I can have 2 tabs open in my browser, one with my personal gmail account, and one with my business email. I have an Android phone, and likewise I can get and reply to both my work and business email accounts from my phone.

I also use Google Voice through google apps. That way I have a business phone number that rings my cell phone that is separate from my personal number. Using Google voice on my phone I can also dial out using the GVoice number for business calls, and the business voice mail has a separate greeting and mail box. So far this all works great, and you can't beat the price

I too used Go Daddy and it seemed real easy to get set up.. My website is not perfect , but it works and I like the PayPal integration because i didn't want any problems with peoples credit cards and this has been a VERY secure way of getting a site up and running!
Nice Post!

Another GoDaddy user here as well. We use the whole GoDaddy package along with their Quick Shopping Cart. Currently I have 600 products running through it and add more every day. Our complete catalog is 1200+ Products hope to get done this spring because we will be adding more to bring our complete line to a little over 3000.

I was concerned at first if GD's QSC could handle such a large site but so far it has been awesome and their support is always helpful and friendly. Love that. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that it is template based so you can't get too fancy with design and graphics. That was ok by me I didn't want to drown my customers with graphics I want to sell hot sauce and hot sauce is the sites main focus.

I am no Website designer by far and know little to nothing about HTML but have put that entire site together by myself with the help of my 13 y.o. son. It has been a great father and son project and we have had a blast with it.

The site address is my tag. Don't want to put a link here because I was suspended from this site for doing so earlier this week.

I do highly recommend GoDaddy for anything you have to do for a website when you don't want to start a career as a web designer and stay focused on your business. By the way this the second time I have used GoDaddy for a business site so I have seen their product evolve over the years. The first site I did with them was 10 years ago using what they called then Web Site Complete. I still have the disc for it to and it still works great.

Eddie.........

I like your website! How did you get the pictures in your store? I have tried and it tells me that my pictures are to big... I'm not very good at changing pictures I guess...

Back