• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Weeping wound from rabbit injury.. Should I be concerned?

About three days ago, this dirty cottontail started biting the tops off of my peppers.. Starting with my Texas wild pepper (Tepin?Pequin). I noticed this morning, while checking for some hint of new growth, that it is oozing out of the wound.. I watered it last night. I don't recall my Frutescens doing that when cut back hard, so just trying to ease my paranoia. 
Any insights related to this would be appreciated as I don't have much experience with weeping peppers. My experience tells me it's nothing to worry about with other recently pruned woody shrubs, so don't sweat it.. 
Unless someone recommends otherwise, I'm just going to ride it out. Just hate to lose this pepper. 
K01xKkOl.jpg

That stinks CF.  I freaking hate the rabbits around here; they're always chewing the tips off the lateral branches of peppers at my house. Been a while since they topped anything or did any major damage thankfully.  I can't imagine why it wouldn't be fine.  Me, I'd prune it more neatly back to slightly above that growth node, but I'm not sure there's any real or significant benefit from doing so. Just maybe a neater cut might heal better.  They sell stuff to seal up the cuts, but I've never found it necessary.

Also, I put my containers on top of 5 gallon buckets or similar items at times to get them above the line of sight and reach of the rabbits and that seems to work.

Back