• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wegman's Fresno

Saw some nice looking Fresno peppers in Wegmans the other day and decided to try a couple since I've never had them before. I was expecting a lot more heat, but these were significantly milder than even a Jalapeno M. Very tasty though, like a bell pepper with just a touch of heat - these would go great with a fresh salad or maybe some chicken soup - something that wouldn't kill the flavor. They had plenty of seeds in them so I'll try growing them and maybe what I can harvest will have more heat. Best part was they were $3.49 lb and the 2 I bought weighed .07 lbs. A total of $0.24. Lol - very cheap seeds since each pod had more than 50. Let's see how fast they grow. :)

dcp2061small2.jpg

You have a Wegmans? That is a great store. Good luck with growing them, but I wouldn't expect heat from them. They are good for making poppers with though.

JayT said:
You have a Wegmans? That is a great store. Good luck with growing them, but I wouldn't expect heat from them. They are good for making poppers with though.

Wegmans is now my favorite grocery store - tons of exotic stuff. Their bread dept alone is worth a trip. They just opened a new one in Gainesville last year, but they've had another one in Fairfax for a couple of years. Fresno have been advertised as having more heat than a Jalapeno, but they have enough flavor that make them worth growing IMO even if the heat isn't there. I'll bet they would make great poppers, I need to remember that!

I grew Fresno last year and I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor. I thought they were as hot as my jalapenos.

I'm growing them again this year. It was one of the few that made it through to the next round.

Nice looking pods there Tony,Are you sure they are ripe though?Might want to pick up some more and toss them in a paper bag for a while.They might also heat up a bit then!

scoville said:
Nice looking pods there Tony,Are you sure they are ripe though?Might want to pick up some more and toss them in a paper bag for a while.They might also heat up a bit then!

Really? I figured if they were solid red, they had to be ripe. Always seemed like my green Jalapenos were just as hot as the red ones. I like the flavor though, so even if they aren't any hotter I wouldn't mind that much.

I grew Fresnos last year for the first time and loved them. Hell, it was the first time I had even heard of them when I picked one up at Walmart. I must have had something stronger than the rest of you. Mine were a tad hotter than either my jalapenos or serranos.

Can't find Fresno plants at the local nurseries this year though. Didn't get any seeds either. Maybe next year.

I make ice cream topping out of fresnos. Basically, fresnos, sugar, pineapple, hint of salt. If you know you're putting on chocolate ice cream, hint of cinnamon. Otherwise a vanilla bean's guts rounds it out nicely. (though on fruity ice creams like strawberry, etc, the pineapple is a bit acid for me. I've not found a good workaround yet.)

Vespucci said:
I make ice cream topping out of fresnos. Basically, fresnos, sugar, pineapple, hint of salt. If you know you're putting on chocolate ice cream, hint of cinnamon. Otherwise a vanilla bean's guts rounds it out nicely. (though on fruity ice creams like strawberry, etc, the pineapple is a bit acid for me. I've not found a good workaround yet.)

Vespucci Nice Recipe you have conceived there love the Fres great pepper and love it more than the Jala :)

Nice find bigt.

Reading how everyone enjoys the flavor I'm going to have to give these a try next year. Thanks guys.

talas said:
Vespucci Nice Recipe you have conceived there love the Fres great pepper and love it more than the Jala :)

Yeah, fresno's a good 'en. Poppers are about the only thing I like green jalapenos in. I've had them ripe a few times, and yeah, red is waay better, but I think the fresno has a more paprika flavor to it.

Here's another one I do with fresnos. Fresnos, onions, sugar, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. It's good with tamarind, too, but I'd leave out the cinnamon. Basically, you want to cook that into a really tender jelly. I think across the pond you know what i'm talking about. Pour some of that warm on some softened cream cheese and have at it with your crackers.

Vespucci said:
Yeah, fresno's a good 'en. Poppers are about the only thing I like green jalapenos in. I've had them ripe a few times, and yeah, red is waay better, but I think the fresno has a more paprika flavor to it.

Here's another one I do with fresnos. Fresnos, onions, sugar, vinegar, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. It's good with tamarind, too, but I'd leave out the cinnamon. Basically, you want to cook that into a really tender jelly. I think across the pond you know what i'm talking about. Pour some of that warm on some softened cream cheese and have at it with your crackers.

Indeed i do no what you mean and like your flavor combination's,Cinnamon would not have thought of that to add :)

I got my Fresno's from tradewind. Their site states hotter than a Jalapeno. We'll see, I have them growing right now.

Diablo said:
I got my Fresno's from tradewind. Their site states hotter than a Jalapeno. We'll see, I have them growing right now.

Have had some hotter than a Jalapeno but then again there pretty much about the same heat..Just more Flavor :)

I spoke with the local hydro shop just a little bit. He's says sometimes a plant that gets stressed, an in heat or lack of water, now and then tends to produce hotter chili's. A kind of reaction to the stress. We get good hot summers here, these Fresno's should get a good chance at being stressed...

patrick said:
Nice find bigt.

Reading how everyone enjoys the flavor I'm going to have to give these a try next year. Thanks guys.

Thanks Patrick. I have seen them before but they weren't that fresh. These were very tight and crisp, I might have to buy a few more if they have more like that. I tried them because I know Potawie likes them a lot as well and I respect his opinion. :) (I didn't see his post 2 above when I made mine - LOL)

POTAWIE said:
Love the fresno, but the ones I've grown were quite hot. I just realised that I'm not growing any this year:(

It's not to late! Many years I never even planted the 1st seed in April. I can remember putting Jalapenos in the garden in July and having peppers in August. I started so much earlier this year than I ever have before entirely because of this forum. If you want any of these seeds Potawie, PM with your addy.

Its too late for me, I try to have all my pepper seeds started before April

I wonder where the Wegman's Fresno originates? This time of year I'm really not surprised if the heat is lacking a little.

Has anyone tried the Fresno surpreme?

POTAWIE said:
Its too late for me, I try to have all my pepper seeds started before April

I wonder where the Wegman's Fresno originates? This time of year I'm really not surprised if the heat is lacking a little.

Has anyone tried the Fresno surpreme?

Yes was severally disappointed in heat and flavor compared to a normal fresno :(

Back