Weird coloration on my jalapeno pod

As the title states, one of the pods on my Jalapeno plant has a weird discoloration to it, what started as a small black spot has grown to cover most of the pod.  Could this just be part of the ripening process, or possibly some form of BER?  

1001257_10151780211949099_1141856064_n.jpg

Pepper in question

1175496_10151780212069099_673823379_n.jpg

Some of the other pods on the same plant just for comparison

compmodder26 said:
Suntan.  Nothing to be worried about.
Really? I didn't even know peppers could get a tan lol! Makes sense considering it's towards the top of the plant and gets more sun than its buddies below... Thanks!

Perfectly normal.  If you don't like it there are hybrids today that have bred out this characteristic.  That pepper in the bottom picture is beautiful!  It is showing corking (the vertical cracking on the skin) which is highly sought after by jalapeno aficionados.  This is another characteristic that bothers some folks because it looks "wrong" and there are hybrids that have bred this out too.

Your plant looks fantastic!

Wustenfuchs said:
Perfectly normal.  If you don't like it there are hybrids today that have bred out this characteristic.  That pepper in the bottom picture is beautiful!  It is showing corking (the vertical cracking on the skin) which is highly sought after by jalapeno aficionados.  This is another characteristic that bothers some folks because it looks "wrong" and there are hybrids that have bred this out too.

Your plant looks fantastic!
I certainly don't mind it now that I know it's not some kind of disease or anything.  I've been waiting for that one on the bottom to ripen for what feels like months now, it's been driving me crazy!  :banghead:  Thanks!

Back