• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Weird 'Ghost' plant help

Hey all, i was given a ghost chili in a tin as a present so i thought i'd give it a go.
This is the tin i was given:
ghost tin.JPG

Once the plant got to producing chilies they were clearly not like any ghost variety i had seen. Google didn't turn anything similar.
I got to about the 300th review of the product and found only one person that said what grew out wasn't as expected (In fact most people reviewed before anything had sprouted).

I had 3 sprout in total. The plants are all under 2 feet tall and very hardy, leaves are thick and quite dark green and crinkly (In case photos don't show it). It loves heat! Seems to need very minimal water compared to my fresnos and apaches.

If anyone can advise/comment/guess on what's going on with these plants it i'd really appreciate it!
My rookie guess is cross pollination with the much taller fresno plants. I isolated them as much as i could but my growing space is limited in the house.

Plant 1
For scale the largest peppers are about 3 inches long in this pic

6FMb781.jpg

ltscn1r.jpg

Plant 2
Much smaller chilies - largest about 1.5 inches
CyGiAKa.jpg

Plant 3
Completely different looking chilies - very yellow/purple with a couple turning orange. Biggest chilies are 1.5 inches
sHs79BY.jpg

Apologies for the image sizing - i had a battle getting them to show at all so i've conceded this is as good as i'm going to get them.

Definitely not ghost peppers.  Someone else will have to ID them but the remind me of my fresnos except mine never went through a yellow stage.  The red one in the lower pic looks just like a fresno.

LavaTonsil said:
Hey all, i was given a ghost chili in a tin as a present so i thought i'd give it a go.
This is the tin i was given:
attachicon.gif
ghost tin.JPG

Once the plant got to producing chilies they were clearly not like any ghost variety i had seen. Google didn't turn anything similar.
I got to about the 300th review of the product and found only one person that said what grew out wasn't as expected (In fact most people reviewed before anything had sprouted).

I had 3 sprout in total. The plants are all under 2 feet tall and very hardy, leaves are thick and quite dark green and crinkly (In case photos don't show it). It loves heat! Seems to need very minimal water compared to my fresnos and apaches.

If anyone can advise/comment/guess on what's going on with these plants it i'd really appreciate it!
My rookie guess is cross pollination with the much taller fresno plants. I isolated them as much as i could but my growing space is limited in the house.
All I have to offer is it's C. annuum.. I've seen this phenotype before but it's name eludes me.... Someone should be along shortly to ID. Sorry you got burned!

_

I'm inclined to think it looks like Bhut x Annuum and that the seeds you received were crossed - or perhaps it's just 100% annuum like NECM suggests.  The flowers look like annuum, but the leaves have the characteristic Bhut riffle to the edges.  I'd be interested to see pics of the flowering nodes and top-down of the calyx to possibly get more clues.

It couldn't have hybridized off your Fresnos though, because hybridization affects only the genetics of the seeds in the pods during the generation the cross-pollination occurs, not the shape/color of the pods themselves. If it crossed with your fresnos this season, the pods would be 100% ghost pods and the hybrid plant and pods would show up next season from the seeds in these current pods.

Thank you for the replies folks, much appreciated!

alkhall said:
The leaves do have that distinctive rippled edge characteristic of Bhut Jolokia, but the pods do not look like any I have seen.

Have you tasted a pod?

I did try one and it was very bland with a bell pepper kind of taste and zero heat.
A couple are now turning orange on plant 1 so i'll try again when they look more ripe.

CaneDog said:
I'm inclined to think it looks like Bhut x Annuum and that the seeds you received were crossed - or perhaps it's just 100% annuum like NECM suggests.  The flowers look like annuum, but the leaves have the characteristic Bhut riffle to the edges.  I'd be interested to see pics of the flowering nodes and top-down of the calyx to possibly get more clues.

It couldn't have hybridized off your Fresnos though, because hybridization affects only the genetics of the seeds in the pods during the generation the cross-pollination occurs, not the shape/color of the pods themselves. If it crossed with your fresnos this season, the pods would be 100% ghost pods and the hybrid plant and pods would show up next season from the seeds in these current pods.

Ahhh i see, that's very interesting regarding crossing, thanks for the explanation.
I'll try and get some more pics tomorrow when the light is better. 

Report 2... with a couple more photos

A few of the smaller chilies on plants 2 and 3 ripened to a nice deep red, and after trying them they certainly had some heat! 
A slightly perfumey taste with immediate mouth heat which tingled a good 10 minutes on the tongue and lips.
FmoGcDm.jpg

Some close ups of plants 2 and 3, which produced the hotter chilis above. I couldn't get any of flowers as they've all started to fruit and the last couple had dropped off :|
Plant 3:
Ciigcom.jpg

Plant 2:
O0P8JuL.jpg

vS8hVUF.jpg

And the ripened plant 1 - i tried the most ripe and red pod and still zero heat from this plant.

pwxzfGP.jpg

Most pleasingly i will actually get some nice hot pods of plants 2 and 3 and the flavour alludes to a bhut if not quite right.
I'm still no closer to knowing exactly what they may be, but happy enough with what the plants are producing and that i can use the chilis.

I think next year i'll try a super hot from a reputable UK seed supplier.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Mixed reviews on this UK vendor.> Buy seeds from ukchilliseeds.co.uk ?

I brought BBG peach ghosts, Carolina reapers and Pink Tiger from them last autumn and grew this year. I had a 100% germination rate and all plants grew big and produced an abundance of pods (apart from the pink tigers which grew big but didn't produce many pods). I think I had 3 or 4 bags of free seeds sent with the seeds I ordered although I didnt grow any of the free ones this year

Swinglish said:
I brought BBG peach ghosts, Carolina reapers and Pink Tiger from them last autumn and grew this year. I had a 100% germination rate and all plants grew big and produced an abundance of pods (apart from the pink tigers which grew big but didn't produce many pods). I think I had 3 or 4 bags of free seeds sent with the seeds I ordered although I didnt grow any of the free ones this year

Make sure you copy/paste this to the thread for update help to others.>Buy seeds from ukchilliseeds.co.uk ?

mtj said:
Is that Bolivian Rainbow, perhaps?
I've had Google of it and that is by far the closest resemblance in terms of the pod shape and colour variety.
The leaves on my plants are quite different to the pics I've seen, particularly the crinkled edges and shape. I'm thinking perhaps a cross of some sorts? Heat levels seem about right for the rainbow too.
Thanks for that mtj!

Back