• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Weird hybrid peppers..is it possible?

I learned from this board that it's easy for peppers to cross, even when you don't want to. I saw people cross Habaneros with Trinidads, etc but can peppers of different families cross?

Ie: Bhuts with Bell peppers?

Not that I have any interest in hybridizing my peppers but just wondering if I have these two plants near each other...is it possible?

Check out this compatibility chart(Bottom of page)

http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

i heard someone had genetically created a pepper hotter than the jolokia.
Genetically created sounds so high tech. In short its just a matter of many different people trying to cross some of the hottest known peppers in hopes of eventually creating a hotter stable cross

Insects are very efficient pollinators, and having plants in any reasonable proximity will undoubtedly result in some crosses. Cross-species hybrids are less common, but they will still happen. The only ones you're relatively safe with are c. pubescens, which don't play nice with others, so to speak (but they will still cross among themselves and some of the less common wild varieties).

If you plan on saving seeds that are true to the parent plant, the best thing to do is isolate a few flowers until they self-pollinate (using a tea bag or something similar), then mark them on the plant, using only those pods for your seeds next year (that is, unless you don't mind the occasional cross turning up).

Insects are very efficient pollinators, and having plants in any reasonable proximity will undoubtedly result in some crosses. Cross-species hybrids are less common, but they will still happen. The only ones you're relatively safe with are c. pubescens, which don't play nice with others, so to speak (but they will still cross among themselves and some of the less common wild varieties).

If you plan on saving seeds that are true to the parent plant, the best thing to do is isolate a few flowers until they self-pollinate (using a tea bag or something similar), then mark them on the plant, using only those pods for your seeds next year (that is, unless you don't mind the occasional cross turning up).

That's a very good idea about isolating a flower for self pollination. My plants are indoors and I thought that would be enough but then I thought about the fact that ladybugs that get inside might cross pollinate them.

If they are indoors I wouldn't worry much about cross-pollination. Even outdoors, chances are usually higher that they won't cross. Especially when you save seeds from early pods, before the bee population really gets going. There are many other ways to increase the odds to favor true-ness, and each has its pros and cons. Try a site search

Back